Kent Test Appeal - help required

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Seaside Mum

Kent Test Appeal - help required

Post by Seaside Mum »

Hi, I've been dipping in and out this site for about a year and have found it invaluable for setting my mind at rest and knowing there are other parents in my situation. Haven't seen many others from east Kent though?!

My son (DS?) failed the 11+ in October and it came as a huge shock to us and as a result I had no contingency plans in place! (stupid I know). His scores were 135 (VR) 115 (NVR) and 113 (Maths). The head teacher did go through the headteachers appeal but it was refused due to the fact that he did not have enough quantity of work (writing I think) to show them. Since then we have been sending him to a tutor and his writing has improved no end. His reading age is about 2 years older.

I saw his teacher recently and she said he is working at a 5a for Science, a 5b for Maths and a 4b for English so we are hoping that he may be on a 5c for english by the end of the year. She also said that if he continued working at this level, the head teacher would have no qualms in writing a letter to the appeal board supporting us.

I do not now know how to go forward with this. Do I get a letter together? Should the school be helping me with this? How many grammar schools can I appeal to? I am a single mother so will be doing this alone. :?

Also should I add to the appeal the reason I feel my DS did badly on the test? I have a younger son (3) who has caused no end of problems since he was born especially with his not sleeping. Last summer we had a very bad time with him resulting in many sleepless nights (prior to the exam). Is this worth adding?

Finally, does anyone know when the decision to take grammar school places from east kent to west kent? Obviously this would be disasterous for anyone appealing this year!

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Seaside Mum :)
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Hi

I am really feeling for you as we are in a similar situation (shock result, HT appeal, school supportive) to you but all in reverse - a good pass with Maths and NVR and a below the pass mark for VR but we are in West Kent!

However i have found a very good website with loads of free info particular to Kent. I will PM you with it as the personal advice costs and i think i can't put the address here.

As the saying goes on here I'm sure someone will be along soon with more knowledge than me

But, as i understand it, something comes along with your school allocation that you fill in and send back to state that you wish to appeal - i think theres a cut off date towards the end of March when this has to be back. But you do not need the full details of your appeal at this point. Also i think at this point you can only appeal to schools listed on your SCAF, you have to wait a while longer to appeal to others.

I hope that helps a bit, your post makes me feel very tense and frustrated all over again!

x
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Why is all the emphasis on english/writing. It is the mathematical subjects he failed on?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Fluffy66 wrote:Hi

I am really feeling for you as we are in a similar situation (shock result, HT appeal, school supportive) to you but all in reverse - a good pass with Maths and NVR and a below the pass mark for VR but we are in West Kent!

However i have found a very good website with loads of free info particular to Kent. I will PM you with it as the personal advice costs and i think i can't put the address here.
x
Hi fluffy66

Could you PM me the address as well as I am in same situation as you and Seaside Mum.

Thanks
Seaside Mum

Kent test appeals

Post by Seaside Mum »

Thanks for the PM Fluffy and Dad of Kent, I haven't a clue why the HT appeal failed on content of writing! Maths has always been his favourite subject so what happened on the day of the test is beyond me. I think we are lucky to be in east kent as I know friends children in Medway who passed last year but still did not get into a grammar. I have now written my letter and will PM it to Etaine (is this the correct person?) to hopefully let me know if it sounds ok.
Thanks for any advice
Seaside Mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dadofkent wrote:Why is all the emphasis on english/writing. It is the mathematical subjects he failed on?
The essay is used aa evidence for a Head's appeal, i.e. the review stage. Yoyo's Sticky on Kent explains this point:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5076

Sally-Anne
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Sally-Anne wrote:
dadofkent wrote:Why is all the emphasis on english/writing. It is the mathematical subjects he failed on?
The essay is used aa evidence for a Head's appeal, i.e. the review stage. Yoyo's Sticky on Kent explains this point:

Sally-Anne
That is correct. But the Heads Appeal is undertaken before the results are published, and comprises, if necessary part of the 11+ process. That stage is long gone.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dadofkent wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:

Sally-Anne
That is correct. But the Heads Appeal is undertaken before the results are published, and comprises, if necessary part of the 11+ process. That stage is long gone.
Seaside Mum wrote:The head teacher did go through the headteachers appeal but it was refused due to the fact that he did not have enough quantity of work (writing I think) to show them.
I made the point because there are other new members on here who may not realise that the writing task is presented by the Head at the review stage in Kent and be asking themselves the same question, but for different reasons.

With Level 5s already achieved in Maths & Science, but a 4b currently in English, Seaside will need to demonstrate his progress in the subject. Panels do like to see 3 x Level 5s if possible.

As he is already achieving 5b in Maths there is likely to be some reasonably sound academic evidence to show that the 11+ result was out of character.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Sally-Anne wrote:

As he is already achieving 5b in Maths there is likely to be some reasonably sound academic evidence to show that the 11+ result was out of character.
Exactly. That is why I raised the original point.
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

I feel your pain - dd missed on maths by 1 point and failed HT appeal as her English paper wasn;t good enough

X
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now