independent re-test for 11+

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Happy Easter, RS.

I can't be sure but I would have thought it ought to be all right (just!), assuming the appeals administrator is in on the first day of term and forwards the papers to the panel promptly.

Be sure to mark the envelope "Urgent"!
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

All documents have been sent and all fingers etc are now crossed.

I enquired: there are 15 appeals in total and will be heard over 2 days 26th & 27th April. Similar number of appeals last year, only one was successful!!

DS is very nervous (so are we) and in tears on a number of occasions. I will definitely post my experience under "feedback - sticky".

I'll have to stock up something stronger in order to get over this weekend.
RS

Post by RS »

We had our appeal on Monday! We think it went well. The panel asked the admission authority (AA) a lot of questions, a lot more than they asked us!!

We felt that the AA was "grilled" by the panel... asking the cut-off mark, a lots of queries in relation to their claim of "lack of facilities / space" etc.

The panel did ask whether we had any Sats results or predictions and we explained that since DS goes to a Prep School, we could only produce school reports, Headmaster and Form tutor supportive letters and a Holborn Reading test result. They seemed to be satisfied with our evidence.

The AA did bring the "answer paper" and it was passed around to the panel for inspection. The AA said that the writing was legible but we argued that due to the mess, it affected the state of mind of DS at the time - he was in distress and panic (we stressed that they should look at the situation from a 10 years old boy's point of view)!! Hope that the panel would buy our argument.

We should hear from the Council by the end of next week. Fingers and everything still crossed!

Once again, thank you for your valuable advice and all your support. We could not have gone through this appeal without this forum.
Seaside Mum

Post by Seaside Mum »

We had our appeal on Monday too! Fingers crossed that we both get a good result next week. I was told they would be sending out the letters probably next Tuesday so to expect it in the post on Wednesday or Thursday! Sorry to hear your DS has been so upset, ours has been really unsettled by this too and I think will just be pleased to get it all over WHATEVER the result!
Good luck!
RS

Post by RS »

Don't like the waiting game. I feel a bit guilty somehow by putting our DS through this. Just have to stay positive and hope for the best.
Good luck to your appeal too.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Good luck! You have done all you can now, so you should now start to prepare for how to open the envelope....

Will you stand by the door all day, every day with a letter opener ,or are you more like me and have a wopping great knife for that??? (imagine the postmans face when they saw that!)

Will you avoid at all costs the post until someone is around to share the joy with??

Will you stalk the postman on their rounds until they reach your door??

Whichever it is I have everything crossed it is good news :)
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Good luck to you all waiting on news of your appeals, can only imagine what you must all be feeling. You must feel bad for going through this, children will soon come to admire and appreciate the effort we make in trying every avenue we can. I think you would be kicking yourself all the more if you hadn't gone through appeal and thinking of the what if's?

Fingers crossed :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now