Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
retchtub

Advice sought 4 out of catchment & over subscription app

Post by retchtub »

Hi all

My daughter sat and passed the exam for Parkstone Grammar School. :D
However as out of catchment and the school is oversubscribed she did not receive a place but is on the waiting list (no 37 out of 38 as although passed - not with a brilliant score).

Just wanted some general advice please on how to structure my appeal - what should i focus on - the oversubscription issue or her academic abilities - previous advice seems to be to not focus on the academic as she has already proven her academic ability by passing however her HT suggests that this is what will be looked at.

If anyone has experience of similar appeal in Dorset i would welcome their advice (have looked on Dorset section and no-one seems to have posted anything of relevance there!)

Many thanks.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Sorry, not in your area, but if it were me I would focus on that academic evidence.

Normally grammars are oversubscribed so there will always be kids who have passed but don't gain a place. Your child is almost at the bottom of the waiting list, someone has to be. :cry: From this I would say, that unless there are any other factors then you virtually have no hope.

But if you gain academic evidence to show that your child is clearly grammar material, high levels of work, should have got a better 11+ score on the day, and in effect, she simply must go to this school, then you might be in with a chance of winning an appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

previous advice seems to be to not focus on the academic as she has already proven her academic ability by passing
Not sure where this comes from, or how authoritative it was.

The issue seems to me to be something of a grey area!

It makes perfect sense to argue "If you're qualified, you're qualified!"

However, if places are allocated according to score, it also seems to make good sense to try and argue (if appropriate) that your daughter was expected to score even more highly than she did. You would probably need a letter from the current headteacher confirming this, and any other supporting academic evidence.

Like Tracy I've no knowledge of the area in question - but presumably the headteacher does.

At an appeal you're entitled (with the possible exception of where a review has already taken place) to put forward any case you wish.

If in doubt, I would suggest putting forward academic arguments as well as reasons for this particular school. It's then up to the appeal panel to decide what to give weight to.
Etienne
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Have you read through the Q & A section on appeals on this site?

Go to the 'home' page and click on the '11+ appeals' tab on the left hand side.

Oops! or, of course, the link at the top of this page!