Slough Grammar School Appeal for Non-qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ardmore

Slough Grammar School Appeal for Non-qualification

Post by ardmore »

Dear All
thanks for all your help towards preparing my appeal application to SGS panel. I have been asked to present my case in mid Feb.
Having gone through the thread involving Hearty Mum's efforts, and outcome.. I must say it is not possible from now on to do it by myself. I really request your helps and tips.

In summary my DS's case is
Score 110, one short from 111. VR 111, NVR 104, Maths 116. So average score (110.33) is rounded down to 110.0 so unsuccesful.

He bled during VR and NVR tests following an early morning incident on that day, so could not complete the papers. It was better towards the end of the test ( maths).
He is shy, did not even ask the invigilator for extra time.
The HT has has supported my appeal. He is 4A ( writings) 5B (maths), 5C (Reading) at the end of Y5 report. All these have gone with the documents.
What has happened after that:

It is only during Christmas break much after I appealed he revealed that he asked the invigilator twice for tissues to control his bleeding during the tests and was helped. I could not mention this in my appeal as it was late information. However, immediately I contacted SGS in January on this on phone. The school said if it was the case it must have been recorded on that day and the school can not help me in this, if asked by the appeal panel the school will defend its position.

The langley grammar school result is out. He scored 112 ( VR 115, NVR 109) which is a pass. Both schools ( SGS, LGS) follow NFER format. So can refer to LGS results as support of my argument that it was justa bad day for him with minor incident which made him subdued in the hall?
I have seen in this forum siting success in one school as an evidence to counter the failure in other school is not encoraged as it might seem bit rude and unreasonable to the panel.
What will be your advice? I will like my presentation to be guided by the suggestions and discussion from this forum.
chad

Post by chad »

Hi ardmore....at work at the moment but will try and post later when at home. With that score you do have a chance.... have you asked for the invigilators report?

Chad
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Yes, I did ask for information, but they did tell me that it is for them to present to appeal panel if required. To be honest, the SGS reception lady was speaking to me not consulting anyone in the admission unit. I could not know whether that was recorded on that day. What shall I do now?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have seen in this forum siting success in one school as an evidence to counter the failure in other school is not encoraged as it might seem bit rude and unreasonable to the panel.
It's certainly not rude or unreasonable. It's just the issue of whether the tests are comparable (were the same things being tested, and was the standardisation done in the same way?).

I see no reason why you shouldn't submit the evidence, and ask the panel to consider it. It is for the panel to decide how much weight to give the alternative evidence.
Yes, I did ask for information, but they did tell me that it is for them to present to appeal panel if required.
I believe it would be reasonable for the school (as the admission authority) to allow you a copy of the invigilator's report, as you need it to help prepare your case. It sounds as if their initial response is to give you the brush off.

I suggest you write to the admissions officer at the school, saying "I need a copy of the invigilator's report to help prepare for an appeal, but my request was turned down by the lady I spoke to in Reception. I am now formally asking, under the Data Protection Act, for a copy of any part of the invigilator's report that refers to my son."

Your request must be in writing. I recommend sending by recorded delivery, with another copy marked 'for the attention of the chair of governors'. The school is entitled to charge a fee (probably £10). In certain circumstances they might be able to refuse your request on technical grounds, but we can probably challenge that.
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

I see Etienne has already followed up my question on the invigilators report. I certainly think you should follow the advice and formally ask for it.
The langley grammar school result is out. He scored 112 ( VR 115, NVR 109) which is a pass.
As they are both NFER ( SG used to be in the Slough Consortium)...... and Slough Grammar says in its 'blurb' on last years doc's

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9904
Slough Grammar School runs its own admissions and testing arrangements. It is not part of theconsortium of grammar schools in Slough. This means that there is a separate Slough Grammar School 11+ test and a separate 11+ test for the other grammar schools. The Slough Grammar School test will be set in late September by the National Foundation for Educational Research and it will be of exactly the same type and standard as the test set by the other grammar schools in
Slough
. It will consist of Non-Verbal Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics papers.
Therefore given that your son achieved a good pass in Mathematics at SG and the Langley result is VR & NVR I would def mention the pass as showing he can achieve in those exams and the unfortunate problem with his cut did affect his performance on the day.
(The breakdown does not help him as much as his NVR is lower in both exams.)

Gather as much academic evidence as possible...... you have only 0.66 of a point to make up..... and this could be explained by the break in concentration that must have been caused by the 'bleeding' during the exam.
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Ettine and Chad
Thanks for prompt suggestion. I am working on it. The SGS has agreed to look into there records. I have given them written request. I expect to hear from them next week. I will stay in touch with you soon on what I get and how that to be presented. My only worry, I did wait unitil the SGS results to ocntact the school on phone to report the incident.
chad

Post by chad »

As you say.... your son is shy and didn't reveal the extent of his problems during the exam until the Christmas break.... if you didn't know how much iit had affected him then you had no reason to contact the school.
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

thank you Chad. Good point. The school is looking into my request and promised to come back. They are checking his paper when I described the situation through a letter. I am not sure what will mean to us. If gets less after reassment then I am in trouble. But they say, it was initially done by computer. now it will be done by a person.
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

I have got a response from SGS. The incident was not recorded so there is no report. I am not surprised as the fact is, my son was shy and he did not flag the attention of the invigilator.
The other part because of the distraction related to the incident, he could not complete the paper, left 4 questions in verbal. The school has rechecked the paper, the score did not change, but they confirmed that he did not attempt last four questions in VR.

How I put this?

I have one more development over last weekend. My DS has scored very high in a school ( Wilson's School in Wallington) that is placed at the top of his CAF list of preference. The way the results letter is written he stands a high chance there as with similar score of my DS boys got admission offer in first attempt in the previous years. We will only be informed of any decision by our LEA on 1st March

The appeal guidance on SGS indicates any successful appeal against non-qualification automatically constitutes an admission to SGS.

I have some confusion over how things will workout. Since the decision of SGS appeal will be much earlier, will any positive outcome impact the way LEA will allocate place to him in March 1st? In appeal I request for a place in SGS, does this mean I overrule my order of preferences?
I appreciate your suggsetion Chad.
chad

Post by chad »

I would expect that you would be awarded the highest place school on your CAF that your DS qualifies for. Therefore if your son qualfies for Wilsons then that is the school you will be offered on March 1st by the LEA.
If Slough Grammar also uphold your appeal then they may offer as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now