11 + appeal spalding

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think I am still very concerned about mentioning her glasses
I think that the problem with not wearing the glasses actually helps present a coherent picture of why she is now making more rapid progress which is a very important point for your appeal. You say yourself:
with regards to her reading ability, this has very much improved since she now wearing her glasses all the time
It also provides at least some of a feasible explanation for doing badly in the VR paper which again is going to be an important part of your appeal.
We still had issues for some time as she was getting headachs but he reassured me that this was stop once she is wearing them whenever she reads and writes.

You see L would not wear them because she said the hurt her eyes and she could see without them. She has since said that reading is better and infact she is reading every night now.
If you present the issue about the glasses as part of your written submission you can go further into the detail at the appeal itself and the panel are almost certain to want to know more.
It is so difficult to prove. Do they always ask what books she is reading.
If you have your optician's letter, an updated letter from school talking about recent improvement, giving updated grades and mentioning her behaviour in the VR test and hopefully saying they have noticed a difference since she has started wearing her glasses, together with what you say it all "hangs together" - not absolute proof but that is rarely available for anyone - but a reasonable explanation of not passing and a reasonable likelihood that she is of the required ability.

They don't always ask about books, but if they do it is an ideal opportunity for you to mention how much more she is enjoying reading now and discovering the range of books available to her.
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

Hi all,

I'd like again to thank everyone for all the help. I've found all of L's past reports today, it is advised that showing good grades can help to show her academic level, in key stage 1 L was achieving really good grades, however her literacy was low, she got a 3A in numeracy and levels 3's for the rest. Her reading and writing was level 2A, I know this is low but as I explained to Alex, L was not wearing glasses at this point.

Again her results were good for year 5, numeracy was a 4A, science 4, Art, DT and Pe were all 4's, Ive noticed that they do not sub level science, does any one else find this too.

Her reports are very positive, however again she got low scores in her literacy, for year 5, this was again a 3A. As I explained to Alex L has not worn her glasses at school since september of this year and was not consistantly wearing them prior to this, since December her grades have really improved to currently 4A's in her written work and I have been told they seem to keep getting better, they have predicted level 5's in her sats, this is since wearing her glasses. I'm worried that if I present the reports at the appeal it will weaken her case. Also the school feel that we should mainly focus on her grades and not her glasses even though there is a clear improvement.

We have recently been back to the optitions as L has been getting head aches down the right side of her head, he has explained that the right eye is worse than her left and this is why she has been getting the headaches, he has reassured us this will settle down. I am so pleased to say that L has had no headaches this week, hurray!!!! this has now finally settled down, after months of stress and tears. I'm hoping that in the next month with updates from school that I will be able to show significant improvement in all aspects of literacy and reading. We also have a parents evening in April and I am hoping that this will give me the required information, as it will show her current levels in Maths and English.

Question is, Do I show her reports, even though her Literacy is poor in previous years compared to her current level?
dejavu

wearing glasses

Post by dejavu »

Hi Kitty

From a purely objective point of view, I think that the strength of your case centres around her wearing glasses (so don't know why school doesn't place more importance on it). OK, her English result wasn't up to that expected of grammar school standard at year 5 - but she has made a spectacular leap since wearing glasses and is predicted level 5 - and now really loves reading (which must be so much easier now she can see what she is actually reading). I certainly know of one successful appeal from my DD's old school that the child got 117 out of 121 and failed, but won on appeal, as they found out that she had totally the wrong prescription and when that was rectified, she came on leaps and bounds (although one of her parents taught at the school,so might have been privvy to extra info, I don't know).

I seem to remember that you also said that the optician said that her condition (if not wearing glasses) would make it difficult for her to go from one page and then the other (question and answer sheet in the exam). Did you actually get that in writing - if so, use it. This sort of evidence could just tip the balance. Go back through all your postings and responses on the forum to make sure you have not missed anything that might help. If you read other posts and think "Oh , that might be useful for my case" - keep a notebook to hand and write it down straight away - otherwise you will forget.

Good luck- I am sure you will do your best, but sometimes it just depends on the panel you get (one successful 11+ appeal, and one unsuccessful - although we got through on the 12+).
many thanks
dejavu
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Hi Kitty

Just re-read my post and I appear so bossy! I don't mean to be, but I know exactly how you feel (having been in the same position twice), and so want you to do so well I don't know how I would have coped without the support of this site for the last couple of years, and really want to put something back.

Take care - and if you want to pm me - no problem - not that I will be of much use - although I'm good on moral support! (and a glass of wine sometimes helps!).x
many thanks
dejavu
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

Hi all, I was hoping you could give me some further advise, I'm so sorry i am being a pain, as I mentioned earlier within the thread, following veiwing my daughter 11+ papers at the grammer school, I noticed that her spelling ws very poor, I have since been into school and they do not feel it is a problem, however when I look at her books it is clear there is a problem here. Her comp and word understanding is excellent as is her grammer, when she is paying attention!

I have recently had a private tutor so some spelling work with her as I didn't really know where to start myself and she has just come on leaps and bound. Do you think is would be a bad idea to have her write a statement on my DC's work that she has been doing with her. Our school also does not do any real reading tests only practice sats papers, which they have only started since preparing for the sats test, they do not use nfer or cat test, however the tutor does use nfer tests within there school, however again, these only go yo year 5 and the highest grade is 4A, she did say they use a different test for year 6 and she is going to do this with my dc nxt week. This will at least give me an idea of where she is.

Further to this is apears that our school seem to focus more on children that have difficulties with reading ect.. and the children that are working to a higher level are not being stimulated enough, this was also mentioned in the ofstead report for last year, I did not know if this would be appropriate to say or will this look like I am trying to discredit the school, which I do not want to do. Our school has a lot of good qualities but this is one area that has been noted by several parents.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid support from a private tutor doesn't usually carry any weight. She will probably be regarded as being too 'close' to you, and therefore not necessarily impartial.

I don't see a problem with your second point, provided you give it only a brief mention, and are as diplomatic as you are above ("Our school has a lot of good qualities"). Most appeal panels have heard of schools where the brighter children seem to be somewhat overlooked!
Etienne
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

Etienne, thank you for your reply,

It is very frustrating trying to ensure that all the relevent information is available to the pannel, my daughters head teacher was very supportive and said that she was more than happy to support her application.

By reading all the post on here it has really made me think about what I need to produce to show my daughters ability. I just feel overwhelmed, our school do not do any reading tests througout the year, in fact they never listen to her read at all. further to this they do not do cat test either. All I have is predicted grade, and statements from her class teachers, which I have asked for and samples of her work.

I also wondered, do you think that they will take her science predicted score into account as they are no longer doing sats for this? She is wonderful at science and really enjoys it. I feel very worried at the moment as the appeal date is getting close and still the school have not finished gathering the information I requested. I have told them I need this as soon as we return from easter hols. I am hoping that once all the informations is in my hands I will feel a little better. I've been told that there are 10 places and 16 appeals. Will they first of all look at the evidence from non-qualification , then oversubscription if there are more than 10 successful appeals.

Thank you again for all your help.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - the numbers of appeals and places are to some extent red herrings.

There are 10 places - these are available to people who qualify for them ie if they have had a successful non qualification appeal or moved into the area and taken a late test and passed that.

The 16 appeals could all be successful or all fail, there is no quota ie they won't make 10 be successful and 6 fail. each is dealt with individually.

When they have the total number successful they will allocate the places - if there are less than 10 - great, if more than 10 it will be then down to the oversubscription criteria of the school - whatever they are. If a kid doesn't get a place then it would mean appealing for oversubscription.
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

Hi all,

Well my date has come through, we go to appeal on the 13th May, I'm very worried now, our case does not seem as strong compared to a loton the forum, but it has got to be worth a try, thank you very much for all your help and advice, I will update on the events of the day.

I would like to wish everyone the very best of Luck and I have my fingers crossed for all of you.

x x x
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi Kitty,

Good luck with your hearing.

You say your case does not seem as strong as some on the forum.... I would suggest that we don't get to see all the information relating to a case, or that of the defending LA / school. Etienne will often say your success really depends on the strength of cases you are up against / the strenth of the school's case. Your case could be weak, but if other cases / the school's case is weaker you could succeed.

That said, we are hoping for the best but preparing for the very real reality we won't get the place we want. All we can do is try our best, and you are doing that!

Keep us posted with how it goes, and your result. Our hearing is a week earlier than yours and I am sooooo nervous. :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now