Etienne - Help Please - Appeal 7th May

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My second point of appeal is distance. We were moved by the local authority due to my daughters attack, the house happens to be on 1600 metres away from the appeal school so had we had this address when we applied she would have definitely gotten a place as the furthest child away they offered a place was over 1700 metres. It is not our fault that we were not at the new address at time of application, that is the way social housing works.
Just explain the situation as you have done above. I would change the last bit to "It is not our fault that we were not at the new address at time of application, that is the way social housing works. We recognise that the admission authority can only apply the rules as they are, but our circumstances are something the appeal panel is entitled to take into account at its discretion."
I am just wondering whether you think we have a good chance of success .....?
I do think you have a strong case - but I cannot say what the chances of success are. It depends how strong a case the school puts forward to refuse further admissions, it depends how 'strict' the panel are.

Do ask if you have any further questions, but please put them here rather than starting a new thread. It helps to have all the facts about the case in one place.

Thanks, T12ACY, for helping out earlier on.
Etienne
mn4538

Post by mn4538 »

Thanks so much Etienne this has really helped.
Thanks everyone!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Thanks, T12ACY, for helping out earlier on.
I am just pleased to have been able to help rather than be a drain on you all :lol:

And mn4538, I agree with the others. You have a very strong case and I wish you the very best of luck with it. Let us know how it went :)
mn4538

Post by mn4538 »

I will definitely let you know how it goes, another month and a bit to find out!
moosh

Post by moosh »

Goodness if you are not successful then what hope for the rest of us. This looks to one of the most deserving cases I have seen on this forum. I really feel for you.

Good luck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree it's a most deserving case, but we have to err on the side of caution when talking about chances of success.

You could have a strong case - but lose your appeal because the school's case (and/or other parental cases) are even stronger.

You could have a weak case - but win your appeal because the school's case is even weaker!

You could have a very 'strict' panel, or a very 'reasonable' panel. This is why I suggested elsewhere that it's worth finding out the percentage of successful appeals for a particular school in previous years. No guarantee, of course, that it will stay the same - but if it's been 0% for each of the last three years, who would want to predict success?
Etienne
mn4538

Relief!!

Post by mn4538 »

Hi All

Just wanted to let you know that I got the phonecall today to say that my DD has been offered a place at Parmiters in September, as someone has dropped out who was waiting on the distance list!! I screamed I was so happy.

Not just that she got a place although that was the primary part of my elation! Its also about not having to go through the whole appeals process, no having to put really personal harrowing issues about my daughter 'out there' and bring back really disturbing memories.

I wish everyone who is appealing for whichever school loads of success. I would add a tip I found whilst researching for this appeal.

Net Capacity: Please check what the school says in their case is the net capacity against Edubase which is the Department for Children Schools and Families website. You can go on there and search for the relevant school and it will give you the information from the yearly school census, things like the amount of children on the roll and the capacity.

When researching for my appeal I found that Edubase capacity was 120 more than the capacity the school had cited in their appeal statement. The school census information is sent to DCSF by the LA or the School and should be accurate, so if there is a discrepancy it will cast doubt on whether the school really is full which is what they will be saying. Obviously now that Im not appealing I don't know how far going down that route would have gotten me, but it may give the panel something to think about. I was saving it as a question for the admission authority, and I had also printed out the figures from the website as proof.

Good luck everyone, let me know how you get on and thanks so much for all your support ***

Etienne - keep doing what you are doing, you are a a huge source of information, help and support at what is an extremely heart wrenching and difficult time. Thanks again xx
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

what fantastic news! huge congratulations to you and your DD - it must be a great relief and so very welcome after all your problems Enjoy the celebrations!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

FANTASTIC!!!!

Am really pleased for you and DD. Good tip about the net capacity, am quite sure ours is incorrect and had already seen it but assumed LA defending statement would be correct? Wonder if anyone has an opinion on this?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Excellent news, the two-fold sense of relief just cannot be described can it? (this is what happened to us last year too :D )

Enjoy the moment. If you're anything like me, even a year later just the thought of it brings a smile to my face - the reality's even better though :lol: :lol: