Appeal against non qualification- implications of admitting

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
markie1r

Appeal against non qualification- implications of admitting

Post by markie1r »

Hi
My son missed the 11+ by 1 mark. I have read the forum and feel confident I will be able to present my case with regard to academic ability and extenuating circumstances. However in the copy of the Governors case that has been sent to me they state that the Class rooms are designed to take 32 pupils and that they have offered 3x 32 places and admitting one more pupil “would create health and safety issues and would markedly damage the quality of provision for existing pupilsâ€
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Is it a 3 form entry school?
markie1r

no it is 5

Post by markie1r »

The intake admission size is 160 which means a standard class size of 32.
sorry I should have said 5 not 3
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

They seem to be strongly resistant to further children being admitted.

Do you know the numbers of successful appeals for the school in the past, or anyone who has got in on appeal before?

Remember you can still go on to win your appeal if you have a very strong case even though the school is 'full', and bear in mind that your son did only miss out by 1 mark, is is VERY close.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Is the statement you refer to in the letter from the LA? Have checked ours and it states:

The school is currently full and the Authority considers that to admit an additional pupil over the PAN would be prejudicial to the provision of efficient education and the efficient use of resources.

Which is contradictary to the HT statement which says:

it is our contention that exceeding our PAN by more than a very few students would be prejudicial, blah blah....

I suppose what I am asking is this. Is there a report from the school your appeal is to, and does it offer any glimmer of hope.

The 'we cannot accept one single more' is pretty much standard from the LA, but the school individually will have a more realistic stance.

Good luck :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Most appeal cases from the admission authority/school are going to resist quite firmly any further admissions.

What you can do is ask questions about their case at stage 1 of the appeal, e.g. "Have you ever had an extra pupil in a class? Were there any health and safety incidents recorded? What evidence is there that the extra child caused prejudice?" The school is still likely to win stage 1, but you might succeed in denting their case a bit!

Secondly, at stage 2 (where most appeals are won or lost), you will have to state reasons for wanting a place at this particular school - reasons that are sufficient to outweigh any prejudice to the school if they are required to admit an extra pupil.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#c2
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now