Has anyone won an appeal with similar scores? (highsted)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Beki

Post by Beki »

PJ wrote:My impression is that your presentation in the panel meeting is equally important - just go for it - present your case and stress the elements which point to the fact that yout DD is of the same academic ability as those students that achieved a pass mark in the examination.

Don't give up now!

I would take in small selection of material with you - they can only refuse to see it.

Like Amber I am just a novice at this, however, the forum has been a lifeline - there is so much useful information here and the members of the forum are so supportive!
Thank you :) I'm a bit worried about what i've handed in, as i read through the Q's & A's earlier and realised that i've gone into this from completely the wrong angle :(

The thing is, unless you know about websites like this with all the fab information and people to advise you, the natural thing to do is to want to 'big up' (for want of a better phrase) your child... I'm just hoping the panel aren't going to read through it and think i'm a complete idiot :oops:

At the hearing i'll try and steer it in the direction of academic ability i think!!

Thanks again xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Don't worry - lots of parents change the focus when it comes to the hearing. Just concentrate in your presentation on the things that really matter.

Incidentally, I don't see any mention above of hard evidence about your daughter's ability in VR. I would have expected the school to include this in their letter of support. (Perhaps it's in the reports?)
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Another point:
I know it isn't up to Highsted, but if the Independant Appeals Panel have the same view, then they're not going to look favourably upon letting my daughter in i wouldn't have thought?
That's not how decisions are taken - it's usually a balancing act as far as oversubscription is concerned.

You have to state reasons for wanting a place at this particular school. The panel will decide whether those reasons are strong enough to outweigh any prejudice.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#c2
Etienne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

PJ wrote:My impression is that your presentation in the panel meeting is equally important - just go for it - present your case and stress the elements which point to the fact that yout DD is of the same academic ability as those students that achieved a pass mark in the examination.

Don't give up now!

I would take in small selection of material with you - they can only refuse to see it.
If you can get any extra documentation from school about vr make several copies and take it with you.

I have recently been through an over-sub appeal and even though my presentation did mainly elaborate upon the focal points in my appeal letter . i also raised some new points which i felt relivant to my case that were not mentioned in the letter, you can too, so dont worry, just be prepared. :)
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Beki, can you get the school to let you have CATs scores, reading age and spelling age before Friday which you can hand to the panel?
Seaside Mum

Post by Seaside Mum »

In my appeal, the panel were very interested in our DSs year 5 CAT scores. Our head teacher gave these in as evidence as well as her letter of support. I would reccomend doing what Twinkle has advised; ring the school and ask them to provide this information.
Good luck!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Beki, Having just returned from my hearing I can reiterate you are given very good opportunity to add further details. Don't worry with what you have already submitted, remember the large proportion of cases will have done exactly the same as you. (the hearing before mine, parent had no documents at all with them wheras I had all the papers and some!!!)

If you can quickly gather any additional evidence from alternative testing and prepare a good (but single side of A4) formal presentation and provide copies to the panel this will be excellent.

Good luck. Nobody does it wrong, or even right for that matter. If the panel need to know something they will tease it out of you somehow. :)
Beki

Post by Beki »

Thank you so much for all the advice everyone :D

Right.. when DP drops DD at school in the morning i'll get him to have a word with the head to see if we can rustle up her spelling age.

I already have her reading age, which is 8 months ahead. Not a lot ahead i know, but every little helps, right? :wink:

I also have her year 5 CAT scores. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take them to the appeal though as they were 109, 109 and 118. Can anyone advise me on this please? :oops:
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Hi there - don't want to put a downer on things - but for gs, reading age is considered good if 18 months to 2 years beyond actual age. Can you get the school to do another one quickly - and you could submit results at the actual appeal? Sorry, haven't got a clue about Cats as my DD school didn't do them. If the reading age isn't up to scratch - then you don't have to submit it.
many thanks
dejavu
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Beki wrote:I also have her year 5 CAT scores. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take them to the appeal though as they were 109, 109 and 118. Can anyone advise me on this please? :oops:

It would really be good for you if the 118 was the VR ? :) the others i think i a bit average, but im not an expert on CATS
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now