Failed appeal, what to do next?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MostHappyDad

Re: Failed appeal, what to do next?

Post by MostHappyDad »

Thanks Etienne, you're a star!

Maybe I was getting a bit carried away with my points at the end of my last post but it's
just that the feeling I was getting from both Panels were very good at the time.

One of the Panel members spoke about my child's CAT's scores and Key Stage 2 projections and was saying that even though there was a tendency for error in the pupils favour (I think they call them confidence bands), taking this into account, the scores were still sufficiently high enough to show that she was very good. This was an ex-Heateacher talking and when I heard this I thought that he at least had appreciated my evidence. I would like to hear the Clerks notes for when I left the room. Were they just humouring me? If they have something to say, I would rather they were straight forward, honest & to the point.

Many thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Confidence bands, or confidence intervals, mean there's a 90% (sometimes 95%) chance that the true score lies within a range which usually extends above and below the actual score. If we take a score of 112, the range might possibly be as wide as 102-119. (This is just an example.)

I feel sure the ex-head was trying to be helpful.

Good luck with your complaint. I'm afraid you mustn't get your hopes up too high, but I do hope the ombudsman will agree to look into your case, because it will at least mean someone will be independently scrutinising whether or not things were done correctly. Whatever the outcome, you couldn't have done more!
Etienne
MostHappyDad

Post by MostHappyDad »

Etienne

Thanks for your kind words.

This forum & you in particular have been a great help, I cannot thank you enough.

I will let you all know how I get on.

Good luck with everyone else in a similar position, I know how you all feel.

Good luck with all the upcomming appeals.
MostHappyDad

Post by MostHappyDad »

Hi Etienne

I had a letter from the Ombudsman and there are a couple of small things I would like you to check for me before I reply (if that is not too much to ask?).

I will send the info via the appeals box.

I would like to know if the summary of the complaints are correct with regard the points you raised.

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, verysaddad - not sure I understand. The two sentences quoted don't mean much to me in isolation.
Etienne
MostHappyDad

Post by MostHappyDad »

Etienne

Sorry I missed a line of text which might make a little more sense.

I will re-send via the appeals box with the new line in place.

Failing that I will send the entire letter if that helps.

Please let me know, thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, verysaddad

What you seem to have is a sort of standard introduction. I can't see that the first part of each sentence ("considered X's application") really applies to you (unless I'm forgetting something!), but it doesn't matter. Of more importance is that you are satisfied that what follows summarises correctly the points we identified to get the process under way.

I'm so pleased the ombudsman has agreed to look into your case. We do not know if anything will come out of this, but at the very least you will have the comfort of knowing that an independent body - with the powers of a high court judge - will be checking carefully to see whether there were any serious procedural errors.
Etienne
MostHappyDad

Post by MostHappyDad »

Etienne

Thanks for the reply, your comments are much appreciated.

I think what I was trying to ask was whether You thought that they had summarised correctly the points we identified regarding the appeals.
If you are happy then that is fine for me.

I know and understand that the chances for success are slim but, I will feel much better in the knowledge that I have had a good go.

All the best
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, vsd

I hope I'm not missing something - I don't think I've seen a summary. The sentences quoted look like an introduction to the summary. Please reassure me that the opening lines of the letter were indeed followed by a summary of your complaint!
Etienne
MostHappyDad

Post by MostHappyDad »

Etienne

You have me a little worried with your last post. I will re-type the whole letter & send it via the appeals box.

I have just sent all of the relevant paperwork to the Ombudsman today. I hope it is ok.

Regards

VSD