Failed appeal, what to do next?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MostHappyDad

Re: Failed appeal, what to do next?

Post by MostHappyDad »

Hi eveyone

It has been a while since I last posted but I finally have some very happy news I would like to share with you all.
After just over a year since DD took the eleven plus in September 09, and after 2 failed appeals, one complaint to the Ombudsman (upheld) and one final appeal, we have just received the fantastic news that we won the appeal and have been offered a place at our 1st choice grammar school in Kent. We have accepted the place and DD will start after half term.
I cannot tell you how over the moon we all are and would like to thank everyone who has been kind enough with all their help, advice and kind words of encouragement, (especially Etienne and Lee). Without this help, I am not sure if I would have had the will to have got to the end of what has been a long and at times, difficult journey.

For anybody going through a similar story or are just about to embark on one of their own, then I would like to say to them to never give up and have faith in your child.
If like us, you really think that your child would be better suited at a grammar school and you have good evidence to present and support your case, then in my humble opinion, I think that you should appeal. I would not want to give anybody false hope or give the impression that it was easy beacause the truth is it wasn't and at times, it was hard to keep going but if it means that much to you then you should at least try.

I can tell you that I received tremendous support from this forum and this was a major reason for me being able to get to where we are now. You will find lots of people in similar situations to youselves who are going through the same difficulties and the odd word or two of encouragement can really help when you are going through a difficult patch.

I would also like to say that the school DD stated at in September was an excellent school but we felt and still do, that she would flourish and thrive better in a grammar school environment. I am quite sure that had she stayed at this school, she would have done well and it will be a shame to be leaving behind all the new friends she has made since starting there some 6 weeks ago. For us, my wife and I know (in our hearts) that we have done the right thing for our child and as a family, we are all very happy with the final outcome. At the end of the day, that is all that you can possibly hope for I suppose.

I actually had a much longer post written out with many more details but my computer crashed just before I posted it and so if anyone has any questions then please ask them as I would be happy to answer them all.

I suppose the only thing that I must do now is to change my username from "verysaddad"
to "veryhappydad", does anyone know quite how to do that...?

All the best and thank you for listening.

VSD (but not for much longer)
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

What wonderful news VSD (or, more accurately, VHD :lol: ) after such a long and drawn-out process. Well done for sticking it out, and thank you for letting us know the outcome.

I hope your DD soon settles down in her new school. :)
Marylou
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

FANBLOOMINGTASTIC!!!!!!!

Wonderful news, very well done :D
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Congratulations VSD!
Very good news and a real tribute to your perseverance! :D
mixed emotions

Post by mixed emotions »

Hi, you have put a smile on my face with your happy news, can you please let me know the details of why you appealed or direct me to where your initial posts :)
mixed emotions

Post by mixed emotions »

Found them ! :P
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

what a lovely ending, good luck and well done :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

am thrilled for you and your family :D :D :D
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

EXCELLENT NEWS :D :D :D

I am so pleased for you and your DD x x x

I know when I appealed last year, there were friends who questioned whether it was the right thing for my DD, but I knew what school was right for her. We were lucky in that our appeal was successful and she started her school in September - how is she getting on? She loves the school, all the girls are friendly, enjoys the work :shock:, does her homework as soon as she gets home :shock: and has described her school as a big family :D ... Yes it's early days - but at least for now she is happy and working hard :D

You did the right thing for your DD and I'm confident she will enjoy her new school and make many friends x x x
Heartmum x x x
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

mitasol wrote: Very good news and a real tribute to your perseverance! :D
I second that.
Very well done and I am sure your DD will blossom there.

Its very uplifting reading about your determination to get your DD in the right school.
Impossible is Nothing.