Kent appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Becs you are in a similar position to me with the HT appeal. I hadn't realised (even though this is DS3 via KT!!!) that the HT appeals before the result is known. The whole thing was very stressful, I had registered for email notification but it never arrived so DS went to school and had to wait in the school reception while I was finding out. Made for a traumatic day..... The DHT said that the situation I mentioned when told the scores was known but that HT felt I would be more likely to get a result via parental appeal than if she wrote a paragraph in a box on the form.

I have yet to see if that was wise!

I wouldn't worry too much about what is on the referral, you can't change it, but with some time you can get your head around what is on there and get some good answers for inevitable questions. 8)

Good luck
becs1

Post by becs1 »

good advice thankyou. good luck to you also.just got to wait till end of june!!!!! :x
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

the way i understand it is that at the ht appeal they just sumbit the dc's work and that is then looked at and a decision made. Any mitigating circumstance are not given, that is left for you to do now :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Tiredmum, it really depends how well informed the HT is. In our appeal papers there was a guide to the HT appeal which asks for very full information on mitigating circumstances. What tends to happen though, as in my case where the situation was known about, some HT's accept parents stand a better chance if presenting new information to be considered. I do accept the HT could not have explained our case as well as I could, much of it was about the family and not simply ability.

In answer to why our HT didn't report a situation during the test I could only add that I had talked to the class teacher and raised my concerns, and was told the HT would appeal. I had no idea what would be said and trusted HT, for becs this is very new info and HT didn't even know.
becs1

Post by becs1 »

t12acy when is your appeal?????
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

It was last Wednesday, will hear the outcome by the end of this week.
becs1

Post by becs1 »

how did it go????? were you asked why HT had not put all circumstances on their appeal???? And when do you hear?? Must feel like the longest week in your life!!!
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Thinking of you, keeping everything crossed :D
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Becs - yes it has been a very tough week! I was asked why the HT made no mention of the situation when they did know about it, and had I spoken with the school about my concerns.
I answered honestly, I spoke with the class teacher who said HT would appeal. I trusted them to do DS proud and was surprised when I saw the referral there was no mention of it, but that in the HT appeal supporting statement it was confirmed. I am sure the panel drew their own conclusion and guessed by leaving it out this means it hadn't been considered before.
I truly did my best in the moment, but now am kicking myself because I have thought of much better things to say even though I was well prepared. Am now very unsure if it was enough but am hoping they will see that this was a very unusual situation and DS is considered by school as suitable. Suitable test scores, but not incredible!!!
Will let you know the outcome and post full feedback soon x
becs1

Post by becs1 »

Fingers crossed for you,its an awfull process!!!Really should not have to sell our kids!!!! Good Luck :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now