Question for Etienne

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jen s

Post by jen s »

its the million dollar question-but just take your time-at least a week or so-get as much advice as possible.Have a proper mtg with the headteacher at your current school and get his/her advice.
Ultimately its you who will decide but it should be based on the optimum level of info.Good luck-there will be many more of us with you on March 2nd I suspect.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest1
Are you planning on doing the 12+ or continuing private. I am interested as we have considered this option too. Is it too nosy to ask which private school you sent your son to and how well did he settle in?
My son was already at the Prep School in year 6, so luckily we didn't have to make a major change. I would prefer not to say which school it is on the forum, as it would probably identify me to quite a few people and anonymity can be very useful at times.

The children who came in from state schools have blossomed - their academic performance has leapt and they have been very happy.

We plan to do the 12+, but we remain unsure that our son will pass it. He just doesn't do VR easily, despite being very intelligent and generally getting very high marks in all the academic subjects. If he doesn't get the 12+ we will have two choices - pay money we don't have for more private schooling or run away!

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi Sally-Anne,

Our child has the same problem with VR although very bright [high 5s at KS2] - we used the IPS 10 questions one paper per day [about six minutes] - didn't do much else.

Somehow our child coped better - have you seen my post on the different format for the answer sheet? That is more of a concern as they send you only a few examples to try.

GOOD LUCK
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest55

I think I've suggested before that you should register on the forum? You are really becoming an invaluable contributor.

Thank you for the suggestion of IPS papers - my son didn't use those last time. I was also planning to use the Tutors CDs, as nothing will galvanise him better than a computer screen!

However, I am not planning to put him under pressure for the 12+. Firstly because I don't think it will make any difference, given his fundamental limitation with VR. Secondly because we are a bit lukewarm about the GS that he would get in to if he passed. Thirdly because he did so much ahrd work last year for no gain at all, and I feel it would be very unfair to put him under pressure for something that he may never pass - even at the age of 18!

No, I haven't seen your post on the answer paper, and that is the biggest worry I have about the 12+, as it could throw him completely on the day. Can you post the link for me, or tell me which thread & post I should look at?

See what I mean - you're invaluable!

Thanks so much
Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now