Recent appeal hearing (Birmingham)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
isymum

Recent appeal hearing (Birmingham)

Post by isymum »

I have been to 3 appeals for my DS. The first one was for Handsworth Grammar school in Birmingham. The panel seemed to be a nice one, but unfortunately the appeal was declined. Last week we had one for King Edward Aston Grammar School. My DS score is 301, where the last intake was 331. The panel were 2 lay members and and one education member. The Head master was there to argue against.
I tried to cover all areas as I possibly could. I asked what the papers were marked out of. No-one knew that answer. The clerk then replied they assume each paper average mark should be 100, so then i pointed out that my son got above 100 in 2 papers and 98 in another, which is still quite good even though he is low on the waiting list at 190. I also asked if they have had the opportunity to review the evidence provided by the school any myself on academic. The head master argued that they are oversubscribed and also they go by SAT results for KS1 looking at 3, my son got 2A. So then I responded that children make a huge improvement from KS1 to KS2 as the evidence shows that he is at 5A/5B. I also mentioned that my son was ill before the week of the test, therefore his performance may be affected, also during that time the family underwent some personal problems. Another point I covered is that my DS has been getting higher marks than 2 other pupils in his class who have got a place at grammar schools. Evidence was provided for this. I did urge the panel to look at this even though my DS is quite low.

Has anyone been to an appeal hearing for King Edward Aston Grammar or Bishop Vessey. Please share your thoughts.

We have not heard anything from the appeal as yet. I have spoken to the clerk, and she mentioned a letter should be out. Can anyone advise. Realistically does my son stand any chance at all?
T12ACY

Re: RECENT APPEAL HEARING

Post by T12ACY »

Hi isymum,

Can't help with regards to specific school as not from your area. Just wanted to say good luck with the outcome of your appeal, it is tough going and in reality very few get the result they had hoped for. We have recently had an appeal declined with only 3 points under the pass mark of 360 despite very good evidence of ability. Others have been able to get through on lower scores though so not all is lost.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
isymum

Post by isymum »

Thanks for the advise T12ACY. I spoke to the Clerk for the appeal we went to yesterday. Unfortunately my DS did not get through. They said "two standard letters have been sent out today, one with I am pleased to inform you, and the other I regret to inform you. You're one is I regret to inform you." All I wait for is the one for Aston Grammar I don't hold much hope now. I thought my DS would have more chance with yesterday's one as he was much higher on the waiting list than the other one.
isymum

Re: Panel Meeting: Letter changes the grounds for appeal

Post by isymum »

Ethienne, how do i contact the ombudsman. My appeal was not successful, in fact the first one was horrible. The second was not too bad, yet we are still waiting for a reply on that. The one we had yesterday, the panel to some point rushed us, and we left feeling not everything was said. So i came home and faxed over some information which was missed out on our meeting. We did not win this appeal. Was advised today, that our appeal was not successful.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi isymum
I am sorry to hear about the results of your appeals, I gather from previous post that the KE foundation schools are particularly difficult to get through on appeal.
Are you planning now to take up one of the independent school places?
isymum

Post by isymum »

Yes my DS has part scholarship offered from one of them, so we decided to take that offer. But I wanted to try one last time to see if there was any luck. Obviously not. The decision letter has been sent out today regarding for Aston Grammar. I did try and get an answer from the clerk when I spoke with her this morning. But she would not disclose any information. All she said that all letters are being posted today, so we will know by Monday.
Etienne

Re: Panel Meeting: Letter changes the grounds for appeal

Post by Etienne »

isymum wrote:Ethienne, how do i contact the ombudsman. My appeal was not successful, in fact the first one was horrible. The second was not too bad, yet we are still waiting for a reply on that. The one we had yesterday, the panel to some point rushed us, and we left feeling not everything was said. So i came home and faxed over some information which was missed out on our meeting. We did not win this appeal. Was advised today, that our appeal was not successful.
Please go to the draft section of the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 95#p180695
scroll down to no. 5
Etienne
isymum

Re: Recent appeal hearing (Birmingham)

Post by isymum »

Thank you for the post Ethienne
Etienne

Re: Recent appeal hearing (Birmingham)

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to hear what a hard time you had.

Just to add that, if you fax over information after the hearing, it 's unlikely to be considered. Normally a panel can only take into account information available at the hearing, and the representative of the admission authority needs to be there to have the opportunity to comment on it. The panel cannot meet with the representative of the admission authority afterwards if you're not there. (The only possible exception to this rule is if you had decided not to attend the hearing in the first place. The appeal can then be heard 'in absentia'.)
Etienne