For the appeals box

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Etienne - the other post is locked so I can't move it. Sorry! What I want to know is what the latest ruling on C11 and friendships and appeals mean. Does it stipulate how much or how little a friendship matters or does it give guidance on how much support a friend can or can't give. Thanks.
Sorry is that better :oops:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

C11 refers to the Q&A on this site - ie common questions.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

[quote] C11. My child cannot bear to be parted from friends.

I do understand how upsetting it can be to be separated from friends (initially at least). The problem is appeal panels hear this all the time – “His/her best friend is going there,â€
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

thanks for that. Weren't there any newer guidelines to this .....? I thought there were....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear panicattack!

It's not a rule, just a bit of advice really. What I'm trying to say is that, if you compare the two examples below, one case is infinitely stronger than the other. I think the question an appeal panel would be asking is "Just how much substance is there to the argument?"

Case A
"My child wants to go to this school because all his/her friends are going there."

(On its own this is probably not going to carry much weight.
Ideally you would need to show why this is so important, and provide evidence.)

Case B
A child is very sensitive, withdrawn, vulnerable, not good at coping with new situations. He is allocated a school where he knows absolutely no one. The primary school write a letter for the appeal panel saying "We strongly support this child's appeal for a place at school X. As you will know from the details parents have submitted, he has been coping with numerous problems over the past two years. He would benefit enormously from having the support of his close circle of friends, all of whom will be going to this school."

Hope that's clearer?
Etienne
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

ok yes thanks I get it! Much easier to see things when they are in black and white like that! Friendships are an important part of our appeal but not the biggest thing and I was wondering if it would go against you having the support of a friend's letter/said friend maybe attending or not attending the appeal. I thought if there were any new guidelines that advised one way or the other then it would help us make up our minds.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

the support of a friend's letter
A letter from a friend (another child) may not be viewed as valid evidence. It raises questions about whether the child really composed it (or was it dictated by an adult?). If the content says little more than in example A above ("He's my friend and we'd like to go to the same school") it's not going to carry any weight.
said friend maybe attending or not attending the appeal
I'm very doubtful about whether a school friend would be allowed into the hearing. There would have to be a very good reason.
Etienne
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

I meant my dc's friend's mum (who is a close friend of mine)! Does that change things?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ah, you could certainly take another adult along as a friend.

There are two sorts of adult "friend".
1. Someone who is just there to keep you company and offer moral support.
2. Someone who is going to speak on your behalf. (Whether this is a good idea depends on why you want them to contribute, and/or what they're going to say.)

A letter from an adult friend isn't really going to be viewed as evidence because they're not impartial. If they're a friend, they could just be writing what you suggested.
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect that panels (and schools) are well aware that most if not all of the children who arrive as the only child from their old school rapidly get to know others and settle in.
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

thanks Etienne and hermanmunster. The adult friend would come to give moral support only, if he came. I think that he was saying that as he was at home, known us for years etc, that he would act as emergency person as we work which would give peace of mind. Dc is very shy and apprehensive and takes time to make friends and worried about travelling by themselves. Having school friend with dc would put our minds at rest that they were travelling with someone they know very well with parent back up. Do you think this is a good idea or not ? Thanks for your feedback.