For the appeals box

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

U400JB9

Re: THIS FOR THE APPEALS BOX

Post by U400JB9 »

panicattack! wrote:FRIDAY :shock:
Oooohhhh nearly over then. I knew it was this week.
It seems that most of the last appeals are done and dusted this week, becs1 is imminent too
tiredmum

Re: For the appeals box

Post by tiredmum »

I was going to read my notes as my presentation as i am not good at presenting but at the last minute someone adviced me to try and actually present my case by making eye contact and refering to my notes only as i was moving to next point in presentation. I did this and as you know it worked well for me - i did tell the panel that i was not good at presenting before i started and they could tell i was nervous.

As to the questions you mayget ask - really try not to refer back to your notes unless they are asking for solid quote type facts or figures, you have made a list of possible quesions so you do know the answers. Wishing you loads of luck.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

tiredmum wrote:but at the last minute someone adviced me to try and actually present my case by making eye contact and refering to my notes only as i was moving to next point in presentation.
No help if the panel members have their eyes in the paperwork, or if they dislike making too much eye contact! That said, I try to make eye contact with the appellants and give a 'sympathetic poker face' look.
Capers
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

For reading out loud my formal presentation I gave a copy to each of the Panel. This meant there was no need for eye contact because they were actually busy keeping up with me and writing notes. Totally helped me as it is hard to read and make eye contact as you just lose your place! LOL
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

a 'sympathetic ***** face' look
Oh dear, Capers - you'll have to steer clear of anything to do with g_ambling! :wink:

I really wouldn't get too worked up over the presentation. Appellants are sometimes worried that, if they fail to mention even the most minor of details, there will be dire consequences. If your case is already set out in the written submission and in the evidence, all you have to do is briefly remind the panel of the main points.

The majority of appellants are probably going to read from a script, and panels understand perfectly well why they feel more comfortable doing so. There are plenty of other opportunities for eye contact.

They have too much paperwork already, so I wouldn't normally recommend giving panel members a copy of the presentation - unless perhaps there's a lot of new and complicated information. It's very helpful, however, if the clerk could have a copy 'for the record'.
Etienne
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Thank you for all your cheery advice and putting perspective into this nightmare!!! Nearly there, and do you know feeling quite a lot better today! :D I went through everything yesterday evening and I KNOW I am prepared, and it would be bizarre not to be nervous!! But thank you so much, forum users understand much more :wink: :D

Good luck to everyone going through this nightmare in the next few days....
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Best of luck tomorrow panicattack! Will be thinging of you.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Yes good luck panic attack. Its really not as daunting when you get in there.

You will get upset at some point but you will get through it :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Good luck. You are very well prepared, fingers crossed for a nice panel :)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
becs1

Post by becs1 »

good luck *** everything crossed ****