Appeal question

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bucks Mum

Appeal question

Post by Bucks Mum »

Hi, I spoke to my daughter's teacher today and she confirmed that the SATs test was in exam conditions and will confirm this in writing for me, so think I might as well take it with me, apparently they are also doing a maths practise and she will let me know the result of that also.

Maggie, have you had your appeal result yet??
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Yes, we just heard today that our appeal was successful! Very relieved and happy, as is our child. As others have said, we really owe a lot of thanks to this forum and Etienne in particular for helping us to prepare. All over now - until next time!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you, Maggie, and many congratulations.
Etienne
Bucks Mum

Appeal question

Post by Bucks Mum »

Hi Maggie

Fantastic news, congratulations to you and your child!

Bucks Mum
uncertain mum

Appealing up? Changing preference?

Post by uncertain mum »

We think our son has probably got a place at St Olave's on score (142). However we put it down as third choice. thinking he was unlikely to get in and because of its distance.
We put Judd first choice and Skinners second. His 11+ in Kent did not go well on one paper particularly. We suspect he will not get into Judd but may have done enough to get Skinners. We would prefer St Olave's definitely to Skinners and might even re-think Judd. Is there anything we can do? I know we are lucky to have this problem compared to others. but it's still a problem for us!
Would be grateful for any help/advice. Can I ask the local authority to change preference before allocations or do I have to wait for Appeal?
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

I think St Olaves offer places seperately to KCC (Judd & Skinners), as last year I knew a boy who was offered a place at the Judd and at St Olaves. In which case you would be able to accept the St Olaves place.

Re: pratice SATS mark

Post by Guest »

hi etienne,
my son is sitting for 11+(bucks) sep/oct 07. he is doing well at school,for year 5 i am expecting atleast 5cs for english and maths as he scored 4b last year (yr4) in both possible possible to get these or they can go upto certain levels in certain years. back to 11+, although he is doing well at school i was just wondering if i should keep his results from year 5 in case we have to go for appeal (oh GOD it's so far yet), would it make any difference. secondly, i was wondering what does it mean (as your following mail). does it mean these people's kids are in year 6 and discussion over here is about their year6's practice papers and results ect.. please correct me if i am wrong, there won't be any SCIENCE paper in year 5. so if my son can pass the 11+ straightaway then he might get addmission in the school of our choice if we have to appeal then do we need to take his predicted results for year6 (as everybody is mentioning here) or year 5 (already scored ones). any comments please. thanx

dissapointed mum wrote:Hie Etienne,
My son got 37/40 for a school practise maths SATS exam. He is predicted 5's for maths, science and English. I was thinking it would be a good idea to take it into our appeal aswell. Do you not agree to this then. The actual mark of 37/40 is a high level 5 isnt it, so would this not show his academic ability??
Thnaks
DM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If your child's school does the optional SATs [Maths & English only] these are standardised and can be used as evidence in Appeal - the levels do go up to level 5 - see
http://www.qca.org.uk/12310.html - lots of information here!

Some schools do not do these so would only have teacher assessed levels -

If you have to go to Appeal use the data that supports your child's case best!
Etienne

Re: pratice SATS mark

Post by Etienne »

Dear Guest

I think the posts you refer to are from current year 6 parents who are in the process of appealing.

If you appeal against the result of the 11+ in Bucks, then round about November of year 6 the headteacher is asked to provide certain information for the appeal panel, including Key Stage 2 SATs predictions.

A panel would regard level 5 predictions for English, Maths and Science as encouraging (but not conclusive) evidence. They are one of a number of academic "indicators" to be taken into account.

It is possible to update the KS2 predictions just before the appeal (January/February) - but any update should be in a letter signed by the headteacher.

[For some other academic "indicators", see section B24:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
There is another indicator specific to Bucks, namely a "1" or a "2" recommendation from the headteacher, and an "order of suitability", completed before the 11+. How much weight this carries depends on a comparison with the school's actual results, and how accurate the head's estimates turn out to have been.]

As far as SATs in state schools are concerned, only the head's KS2 predictions are required - usually nothing else is expected or wanted.

I'll just mention one exception. If straight 5s are not predicted, and parents have extenuating circumstances that have been ongoing for some years, then above-average KS1 results could be useful evidence to show what the standard of work was like before the extenuating circumstances.

Regards
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Are sats standardised according to age. I have a daughter with an August birthday and I believed they were not standardised in any way. (Unlike CAT tests/11+ etc).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now