Just Back From Appeal - Some Ideas

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
correll

Just Back From Appeal - Some Ideas

Post by correll »

I had my son's appeal for entry in a Kent Grammar yesterday and have a few observations for those still preparing for your appeal:

The Panel were very relaxed and will give you a very fair hearing - don't worry about speaking slowly or reading word for word. I think they understand it is a nerve racking experience and don't expect an impassioned speech without resorting to notes.

The LEA officer will basically say your child failed so can't have a place. At the end he/she will say the LEA is sympathetic to you but you can't have a place. Its a scripted thing.

When asked to state your case just run through each point - if you are presenting academic info then try and relate this to how it shows your child is capable of riving in a grammar school. Also if, say, your child did very well on one paper but less on others you really have to focus on this weakness and explain why they may have scored so low or how the other evidence you present illustrates ability in this area. I think this is the key.

For example, if you had a low non verbal reasoning score try to explain for example how attainment in maths and scienece in fact points to a high ability in these areas it being my understanding that this test is used as a predictor of a child's ability to absorb and understand new concepts in these subjects.

I did mentioned the unpalatable school alternatives(in fact as I mentioned one school I noticed one panel member smile and nod her head). However they did explain that they cannot take this into the account as the appeal is whether your child should be admittted to a grammar school not that the other schools may be crap.

You will get questions from the panel -mine asked about my sons character and interests and were really just asked out of politeness.

You are given the chance to summarise at the end - make your points briefly but firmly.

Generally if you get nervous don't panic - I are confident that the panel are assessing your case not your performance!

Other than that fingers crossed. The LEA clerk said we should get our notification letter by next Thursday.

Good luck to you all!
Louise

Post by Louise »

Thanks for sharing your experience. My son scored low on his non-verbal paper and I'd be interested in finding out more about what this indicates. He's always done well at maths and science. He actually had a recent educational psychological assessment performed - we haven't received results yet so this may give us some answers. Thanks again
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now