Bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LG

Bucks appeal

Post by LG »

I found this site invaluable when preparing for our appeal for our daughter which took place earlier this week.
Her VRTS was 118, she is ranked no:10 (out of 31) in her school with all children ranked above her passing their 11+ and 4 ranked below her also having passed. Since the appeals began, another 4 pupils ranked below her have been successful on appeal. She was predicted a 1:1 and exceptionally strongly supported by her headteacher. Her previous test scores for VRTS were 74/80 (not sure what this is as a standardised score for a September birthday). In addition we took in schoolwork evidence to show that she is currently working to a 5B level in her Maths and English.
Our extenuating circumstances were that we had moved to Bucks with my husbands work at Easter in 2006 and then bought and moved to our current house in the September whilst the familiarisation for the 11+ was taking place at school and that there was significant disruption in her life during that time.
I am sad to say that even with the extremely strong academic support, that our case was unsuccessful. My concern is that with such an unfair non-standardised procedure for appeals (as clearly it's pot luck as to which panel you present to) that my daughter now will feel as she has failed twice as she also knows that a pupils ranked below her (and as low as a ranking of 20) in the school passed on appeal. Lots of hot chocolate and hugs this weekend I think!
Thanks to everyone on the site for their fantastic advice and I wish everyone who is yet to hear about their appeal every success.
Nervous Mother

Appeal results for LG

Post by Nervous Mother »

Dear LG,

I'm so sorry to hear about your results. Not only because it's such a bummer for you and your daughter, but also because my daughters results are almost exactly the same as yours. We had our appeal yesterday. Could you possibly put me out of my misery by describing your panel and what building you had it in. Please forgive me if it's unkind to ask you. I realize I will probably find out tomorrow, but I still have at least one more nights sleep to get through.

Take care and keep your chin up. I'll let you know what our outcome is when I find out. Are you registered on this site?

NM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Dear LG,

I so agree! The more I read this forum the more I get upset - Appeal panels should be consistent. I know we do't see and hear ALL the facts but there's enough to see injustices are being done.

Perhaps it is time the panels decisions were open to review with such inconsistency - fewer larger panels with more teacher representation and people who know and can understand data and academic aptitudes.

Send for the notes and take it further ...
LG

Post by LG »

Hi NM
I know exactly what you are going through and I can only wish you all the best of luck for tomorrow morning! Do let me know how you get on. I'm not registered on the site but I will watch this thread.

Well, our appeal took place in the same building where the reception desk is. The Panel were: a female primary school govenor with children and grandchildren having been in the Bucks system, a retired primary school headmistress and a retied male deputy head from a Bucks grammar school. I hope you had a different panel! And you never know, even if it’s the same bunch, they may have had a very different day yesterday….

Take care and good luck
LG
Nervous Mother

Thank You!

Post by Nervous Mother »

Dear LG,

Well I definitely had a different appeal board. Who knows though. I wouldn't see why my daughter would make it if yours didn't. It's impossible to try and predict what the panel will decide.
I met another mother in Waitrose today and she told me how her son failed to pass last year and is now in the local comprehensive along with many of my other friend's children. The school used to have a bad name, but now with more and more local children attending it's blossoming. It was voted the most improved school in Bucks this year. If my daughter doesn't get through that's where she's going. And like your daughter I know she will do very well where ever she goes.

Thank you again for your support to me and everyone else on this site.

NM

Post by Guest »

Dear Guest55
Thanks for your support...I have to admit, I feel angry and very upset for my daughter.
I thought that the appeals decision was final....when you say get the notes and take it further - is there a process that we can follow after this decision if we are not happy with it?
Please let me know if there is as this is something we will consider.
Many thanks. LG
LG

Post by LG »

Ooops Guest55
That was me asking the previous question....forgot to put my initials in the box.
LG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Get the notes and if there is 'maladministration' you can take it to the Ombudsman. It is not quick so you may wish to read other threads on this.

Basically - did the panel ignore evidence they should have considered - I have heard of re- appeals if there is new evidence that was not available for the first appeal.

Reading the notes will help you see why they made their decision - perhaps there was a split 2-1?

It is time the whole process was scrutinised ...
usa

Post by usa »

Dear LG
Sorry to hear your news - and also from reading your evidence, very surprised. It really does seem that the panel you have on the day is a very determining factor - sorry if I am about to open a hornets nest here, but reading these stories (and well done to all of you that have passed your appeals) - an appeal really could go either way and there is no guarantee of anything. If you feel you have grounds to take it further - then do so - nothing ventured, nothing gained, and we all wish you luck!
Have a nice weekend, have a think as to what to do and keep on here for advice etc. Hope it works out for you!
USA
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Hello LG
I'm really sorry to hear your appeal wasn't successful. It does seem very surprising given her strong academics. You are so thoughtful to come on the site and give your help and support to others at a time when you must be smarting.
I am sure your daughter will do well no matter what school she attends. She musn't think of herself as a failure even once, never mind twice. The system has failed her!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now