Joined the club

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dissapointed mum

Joined the club

Post by dissapointed mum »

We have recieved our letter, and too have joined the club along with Ambridge and co. Feeling pretty let down by the system, might go the 12+ route dont know. see how we feel in a years time!
Best of luck to all remaining appealers.
DM

Post by Guest »

Dear Dissapointed Mum
I'm so sorry to hear your news. Understandably you must be upset, confused, angry...list is endless. I'm sure you did everything you could for your child. It may be worth getting a copy of your notes from BCC to see what went wrong for your own peace of mind. I had my appeal yesterday and am a nervous wreck at the moment. Hope the result comes soon.
My thoughts are with you.
Karen
Going it alone

Post by Going it alone »

DM I'm so sorry to hear your bad news, there's just seems to be no rhyme or reason to the panels decisions.

I have been following your progress as well as those of others and I really had my fingers crossed for you.

Lick your wounds for a while, then take a deep breath and do what all caring parents like you would do........ plough on ahead with plan B whatever that may be for good of your child.

Gia.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

DM - very sorry about your news, it seems the kids bounce back almost immediately but you may struggle with feelings for a few days yet, you just feel you have let them down so badly and I am sure thought from the unexpected result on 24 November til this morning that you would be able to make the situation all better.

To put it all to bed, do phone the office where todays' letter came from, confirm the address and send your £10 cheque off to receive a transcript of the appeal meeting, it does at least answer questions of where your case may have fallen down.

From experience, don't do anything drastic between now and say next Monday, I have to say I still feel pretty sh**e, two weeks later, (going for the record!) but we have managed to proceed with Plan B.

This 'lick your wounds' club is pretty dire!!

Regards x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Going it alone wrote:there's just seems to be no rhyme or reason to the panels decisions.
How do you know that, I wonder, without hearing the whole of the case and reading all the papers? I don't recall this headlong rush to judgement - without knowing all the facts - on the forum last year. "Shoot the panel" seems to have become a new pastime :D

I know more about DM's case than most, because she told me in private, but I couldn't say whether the panel was justified in taking the decision it did.

DM, Thanks for your PM. I was very sorry to hear your news. I hope it's some small consolation that you couldn't possibly have done more.
Etienne
Going it alone

Reply to Etienne

Post by Going it alone »

Well that told me!

Of course I didn't know all the details of the case. All I ment was that with statements like the one I read earlier on this site (I'm in a rush so haven't got time to find it now but will later if you'd like me to), someone said it depends who you get on the panel on the day! How fair is that!!

I didn't mean to offend and I certainly don't agree with your "Shoot the Panel" comment. It just seems like a lottery, that's all I wanted to impart.

Gia
usa

Post by usa »

DM
I feel disappointed for you. I can well understand feelings on this site running high at the moment - we all feel we are on the same side and were fighting your battle with you!
Good advice earlier about letting things settle and seeing about Plan B.
Good luck in whatever you decide - do let us know how you get on, and thanks for letting us know your "news" - sorry it wasnt what we all wanted for you.
USA
usa

Post by usa »

DM
I feel disappointed for you. I can well understand feelings on this site running high at the moment - we all feel we are on the same side and were fighting your battle with you!
Good advice earlier about letting things settle and seeing about Plan B.
Good luck in whatever you decide - do let us know how you get on, and thanks for letting us know your "news" - sorry it wasnt what we all wanted for you.
USA
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Gia

Why do you give so much weight to the statement to which you refer? I suspect that it was either speculative or based on anecdotal evidence.

I would hope that we could be a little calmer and avoid extreme statements that are unsubstantiated.

For what it's worth, my view is that most panels would probably come to the same decision on most cases. I would accept that there are some cases, especially the borderline ones, that could go either way, but in these cases complete consistency is impossible.

I'm not for one moment saying that all panels are wonderful and that they are right all the time. However, I think it's wrong to go to the other extreme and give other parents the impression that it's all a lottery - especially when there's no hard evidence.

Regards
Etienne
Darren

Post by Darren »

Sorry to hear this news,, Not good...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now