Possible Medway appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confused_parent

Possible Medway appeal

Post by confused_parent »

I have been posting in Medway and have been advised to put a post in here as I am going to need a lot of advice I feel.

My son did not pass. This was very unexpected taking into consideration mock papers which he passed, everything the school had told me about him and my own experiences preparing for this test with him.

He was kicked in the face during the break between paper 1 and paper 2 which resulted in a cut under his nose which broke the skin and is still there now although of course somewhat healed. I did not report it at the time as we didn't discuss it until almost back at the car after the test.

I am going to see his HT this morning and ask for an appointment to discuss this with a view to an appeal but other members have advised that a HT appeal may not be in our best interests.

For what it is worth I would like him to go to Chatham Grammar and he has a brother there. It is within walking distance of home.

I really need all advice and help you can give and please let me know if there is any other info you need.

Thank you. :)
Last edited by confused_parent on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
confused_parent

Re: Possible Medway appeal

Just to give more information.

I have seen sons head teacher this morning and she was very shocked with his result and even phoned to check if it was correct. She said that despite him getting such a low mark she is fully supportive and will help our appeal if that is what we want to do.

She may have wrong info but she believes that the quick appeal now is better than the long drawn out one. I have to add that this is a catholic primary school that does not get too involved with 11+, so she said she could be wrong.

The way I understand it is that we have two choices -
i) the quick appeal now where the school supports us, we fill in the form, they do one to state why they think he is suitable and submit pieces of his work. She said to mention on the form the injury on test day and that he has a sibling in the grammar school although stressed they may not help. She said keep it very simple and to the point and not say things like "my child really wants to go to grammar school because..."

or

ii) The longer one where I state my case of why I think he is suitable for grammar school and for this we take into consideration extenuating circumstances as well as his work and the head teacher does not need to be involved.

She recommends the first option as she said it is less stressful for the children as they know very soon what the situation is and can settle their own minds along with their friends over school choices etc. Also, if the first one is not successful it makes it harder for the second one. She was not aware of going straight to the second option.

She also said that there have been some children over the years who scored a lot higher than him that she cannot support their applications as she didn't feel they would be suitable for grammar school.

I am happy that I have her full support as this 'proves' to me that I am not in cloud cuckoo land with thinking he is suitable for grammar school. You begin to doubt yourself after a while, but this has reassured me that an appeal of some sort is what needs to be done.

The question now is how?

ETA: Another thought I just had - is it worth calling the head of Chatham Grammar to see which appeal route he advises?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It is good that you have strong support from school - that is a must for a review.

It is also worth checking with Chatham Grammar about the review process because in the past some schools have not upheld the review was fair and therefore you have still been able to appeal in the normal fashion.

There are definitely advantages to getting through by a review but equally many people have discovered to their cost that failing to get through the review has seriously hampered their ability to appeal.

You need to find out as much as you can about the review process (including how the GS you want to attend view the review process) so you can weigh up the best way to proceed.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

The review is indeed alot quicker and then if a success that child just becomes one of the dc's off to a grammar within the class, rather than waiting for next year and i think chatham boys hold appeals late in the accademic year.

I would just say once again that the work handed in much be excellent! Check with the class teacher that it is level 5 and the absolute best they can put in for your ds. The comment on the form is not looked at (reportedly).

GOOD LUCK
lacey

Post by lacey »

BE VERY CAREFUL! if you go for a review. If the primary school you are talking about is the same one that my daughter attended. If you go for that maybe you can ask if you can look at the work they send in because they sent in work that was unfinished. Just be very aware. Good Luck.
confused_parent

Thank you for your responses.

My plan of action at the moment is firstly to speak to the head of Chatham Grammar to see if he advises a particular route to take. They have their open evening tomorrow night (eldest son is helping out so I will be taking him). I will leave younger son here so he doesn't get his hopes up with seeing the school and speak to the head directly. Once I know his thoughts I think the picture may start to clear a bit for me.

I am not sure if I will be allowed to see the work they submit for him. Am I allowed to request to see it? Is this the norm?
lacey

Post by lacey »

I hope you got my pm alright.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No easy answers where reviews are involved, but some helpful suggestions above.

Just a bit concerned that the head recommends the first option "as she said it is less stressful for the children." I'm sure this is true, and that the head means well, but the issue is surely which option is more likely to succeed?
I am not sure if I will be allowed to see the work they submit for him. Am I allowed to request to see it? Is this the norm?
You can but ask. The rules for reviews are entirely local - not national.
Etienne
confused_parent

I think she meant it in the sense that if we are not successful at the first try then she feels it is better to accept that rather than drag it out as that adds to the stress and feeling of not being settled for the child.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

To be honest, your extenuating circumstances may not be particularly strong from the point of view of an appeal (but I think you know that already). If the incident had been reported without delay, and if the GP had been involved, it could have been otherwise.

However, a successful appeal might still be possible if the academic evidence as a whole is very persuasive. I'm thinking here of evidence that goes beyond the scope of a review. See academic evidence
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now