Scores Appeal - is it worth it (Kent)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dazza21h

Scores Appeal - is it worth it (Kent)

Post by dazza21h »

My son has recently received his scores. VR 131 NVR 134 and Maths 111 making a 376 aggregate, over the 360 pass rate. However due to the maths being below 117 he has failed his 11+. I am unaware if a headteachers assesment was given and there were circumstances during before/during the exams which did make an impact on his concentration. Secondary school will not suit his needs and he really requires a grammer school. Is it worth making an appeal?
tiredmum

Re: Scores Appeal - is it worth it (Kent)

Post by tiredmum »

i would say with those scores it is worth an appeal. Speak to the head, find out if he did a HT appeal for you dc - check what level dc is working at, read the Qand A on this appeal forum - If you really feel a grammar education is best for your child, and can cope with the stress of an appeal - i would say go for it! Good luck :)

The experts will be along soon i expect
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

we appealed with similar scores and were successful. Where in Kent are you....as I think this will make a difference too..
dazza21h

Post by dazza21h »

I am going to check with the head teacher this afternoon to see if they did an appeal. We are based in Tonbridge and looking and Tun Wells boys grammer
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

We had a HT appeal which was unsuccessful. I`m in East Kent and although the appeal process is the same....it is less competative here
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Just quickly whizzed, and wanted to say. Book to go and view the actual papers. You will be abe to see where 'it all went wrong' and this could help you to build your appeal. For example, you have said there was a reason why his concentration will have been affected. The answer sheet may add weight to this argument. Furthermore it is not unheard of for there to be an error in the machine marking, it is rare but it does happen. The admissions woman we saw was brilliant and pointed out things we hadn't considered, and went on to use. We did fail one appeal, but won another.

Good luck, of course it's worth it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :wink:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

T12ACY wrote: Furthermore it is not unheard of for there to be an error in the machine marking, it is rare but it does happen. :wink:
It certainly does - i would advice any parent of a child having taken the kent test and not achieved expected score to go and view - you can also take away a copy of their english written work. :)
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

Similar situation here
To everyone's surprise DS did not pass yesterday....
I am in two minds about what to do.
His scores were
NVR 113 (I will try to see his test sheet as his teachers says he didn't finish it - nit sure if it's an argument but DS didn't hear "1 min left" so had no tine to guess the rest!)
VR 122
Maths 131

The school did appeal without our knowledge and were turned down, his previous CATS were a 95 centile and he wasn't tutored - they were very surprised he didn't pass. His total is high enough but his NVR was too weak. His teacher said he was extremely surprised he hadn't passed "he is definitely grammar school material".... we're flattered but is there any point in appealing. I'm sure loads will try it too.

Has anyone been in this situation and can give me their 2 pence worth (everyone else is anyway) ... including other parents who "apologise to you".... like if someone has died
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

madasahater, much of your success will depend on where in kent you are I would think. It is always worth trying, take a look at the Q & A section for tips on how to build your case. My DS failed last year with scores of VR 128, NVR 116 and Maths 113. WE failed one appeal but won another. DS is now in the GS he wanted to go to in the first place, which wasn't my first choice :roll: funny how things turn out!

Good luck :)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

T12ACY - we're in West Kent - TW country!
When you say you lost one appeal but won another, what do you mean? Did you appeal at two schools?
For us - with his lowish scores I won't appeal at Skinners which is our closest school.... but I'd like to try Boys Grammar.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now