Earliest date for appeals & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Earliest date for appeals & other questions

Post by Etienne »

Happy New Year!

I think this line of argument might only be useful if there is some sort of explanation on offer (e.g. a lot of changes in the teaching staff).
Etienne
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Edited because I just found the answer to my question on the Kent section!
Many thanks
Tigger
x
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Good Afternoon to you all ! My Dh asked me this question last night and we can't find the answer anywhere...can anyone tell us what ,if any,information in addition to our written appeal and accompanying evidence that we submit with our 'statement' does an appeal panel see about our dc to assist them in their decision? And,if they do have other info will we be sent a copy of that in advance? Many thanks x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Everyone (panel, parents, LA) must be sent exactly the same paperwork. The LA provides the official 11+ results, but everything else to do with your child is what you have submitted. The panel is not given any other information.
Etienne
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Thank you very much Etienne-exactly the info we wanted. Best regards Tigger
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

We have been wondering whether or not we should ask our dc's HT to come along to at least one of our appeals and wondered whether anyone can give me any advice on this? I appreciate that the more weight given to any appeal the better but does the presence of your childs ht really make such a massive difference that you would be foolish to go in without them? I've been promised a very supportive letter from the ht and class teacher but were advised that they are gearing up for a possible 10 pupils appeals and if like us they are looking at more than 1 I can see that there will be problems. I think that with the support from school and this forum we are able to take each appeal on without our dc's ht coming with us but friends think we are mad..Any advice welcomed!
Many thanks
Tigger
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

tigger2 wrote:We have been wondering whether or not we should ask our dc's HT to come along to at least one of our appeals and wondered whether anyone can give me any advice on this? I appreciate that the more weight given to any appeal the better but does the presence of your childs ht really make such a massive difference that you would be foolish to go in without them?
Tigger, primary school headteachers do not normally attend Bucks selection appeals, because it can cause ill-feeling if they were to turn up for one child but not another. You & the head could insist, but Admissions would almost certainly be alerted if you both arrived for the appeal, and I suspect that there would be a lengthy discussion between Admissions and the head .....!
I've been promised a very supportive letter from the ht and class teacher but were advised that they are gearing up for a possible 10 pupils appeals and if like us they are looking at more than 1 I can see that there will be problems. I think that with the support from school and this forum we are able to take each appeal on without our dc's ht coming with us but friends think we are mad..Any advice welcomed!
If we're talking about 10 selection appeals from the same primary school, I don't see a problem. You're not competing with one another where qualification is the only issue. There's no quota - each case will be looked at strictly on its own merits. It's also inconceivable that the same panel would hear all 10 selection appeals.

Hope that helps.
Etienne
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Etienne, We're in West Kent and some Ht's really do go into bat for their pupils but I think ours will only do so in certain cases which is fair enough. A friend in a similar position to me and at another school is definitely taking their ht with them and thinks I am mad for not asking our ht to come with us. I am not sure ..that is why I thought I would ask what the forum's wise owls thought!
Best regards
Tigger
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, Tigger - lots of Bucks appeal questions at the moment, and I tend to answer on autopilot! :oops:

Yes, if it's not a problem in your LA, well worth asking.
Etienne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

tigger i think one of the kent appeals last year took head - or there was a big discussion about it in the kent section, will try and find it for you :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now