Herschel GS appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

abc123help!

Herschel GS appeal

Post by abc123help! »

Dear Etienne,

I would be grateful if you could advise on:

- other test scores that can be used as academic evidence: we have passes for 2 other grammars, can we submit these? In the appeals advice section, you say that good 11+ test scores can be submitted, but is that something that relates to tests in Bucks primary schools? I am a little concerned that a panel might think that we have a possibility of allocation at other grammars and that this might reduce our chance of success (our other options actually look remote at present, due to a house move after an application deadline and a fairly low pass mark).

- I have read here the procedure for obtaining a re-mark for a Bucks paper, but is there any way of getting to see a Consortium paper? HGS said they do re-mark, but if a child has put one or more answers in the wrong box/es this won't come up on a paper that was marked by a computer.

Many thanks for your time ...
Etienne

Re: Herschel GS appeal

Post by Etienne »

abc123help! wrote: we have passes for 2 other grammars, can we submit these? In the appeals advice section, you say that good 11+ test scores can be submitted, but is that something that relates to tests in Bucks primary schools? I am a little concerned that a panel might think that we have a possibility of allocation at other grammars and that this might reduce our chance of success (our other options actually look remote at present, due to a house move after an application deadline and a fairly low pass mark).
By "good 11+ test scores" I meant "as close as possible to what was needed", and was referring to the result or results you are appealing against. I realise there's one overall score for the consortium, but in Bucks, for example, there are two separate scores. In Kent, there's an overall qualifying mark, but also a minimum score requirement for each test.

You can submit as evidence successful results in other authorities' 11+ tests, but - generally speaking - an 11+ test in one authority might not be acceptable in another authority, because there is the issue of whether the standard of the two tests is comparable.

If we were talking here about two VR tests in the same area, with the same format, the same standardisation, the same sort of cohort, I can see they might possibly be viewed as more or less comparable.

Throw in a curriculum subject such as English or Maths, and it could become more complicated!

It would be up to the appeal panel to decide whether the alternative 11+ result was comparable, and, if so, how much weight to give it.

As you realise, there could be a risk in raising the possibility of other schools, when the message you're trying to put across is "This is the school my DC really wants and needs ......"!
You need to consider whether you can convince the panel that you aren't interested in the other options after all ....... and how this will sound.
- I have read here the procedure for obtaining a re-mark for a Bucks paper, but is there any way of getting to see a Consortium paper? HGS said they do re-mark, but if a child has put one or more answers in the wrong box/es this won't come up on a paper that was marked by a computer.
I'm afraid exam scripts are exempt from the Data Protection Act, so you have no legal right of access to them. If you want more than a remark, you could try writing to HGS to ask whether they would be willing to make available further information that you need for your appeal - but what they decide to do is at their discretion.
Etienne
abc123help!

Post by abc123help! »

Thank you for the clear and amazingly speedy response, Etienne.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

We had a remark done for our son.....we just called the admissions clerk (at St Bernard's, where we sat the test) and she obliged straight away for no charge. I have to say it made no difference to the outcome, but at least we had put to bed the idea that the machine had made a mistake. They would not let us near the paper though.
abc123help!

Post by abc123help! »

Thanks for that, LFH ... appararently they are remarked by hand and so in theory could pick up answers put in wrong boxes. Yes, I am clutching at straws! I get the feeling that it is very hard to win a Consortium appeal (esp. LGS/HGS) on academic evidence and that compelling extenuating circs are also needed. I have scanned this great site and am finding lots of info. on Bucks appeals, but not much on Consortium ones.

Would really appeciate it if anyone who has anything (positive or negative) to say about appeals for HGS/LGS could post ...
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Our appeal was to St Bernard's, so can't say anything about the other two schools. Hopefully someone who has some experience will be along to help you. Good luck.
chad

Post by chad »

I have heard of some (very small in number) of appeals to Herchel, that were based solely on academic evidence, succeeding. Unfortunately as the schools are oversubscribed you need to prove that the marks fell way below that normally expected of the child.It is not enough just to show that the child should have reached the 111 pass mark but the academic evidence actually suggest an expected score of around the 120 -125 range. In other words... to achieve a positive appeal result with just acadmic evidence, the evidence must be very compelling.

There is not anywhere near the information on consortium appeals as there is in bucks. This is partly because Bucks is a fully selective system and so there is a more open system to the appeals.... it is also because there is a catchment (distance) criteria in bucksso the appeals are usually more local. Slough grammars have not got a full catchment system, therefore more people can access them and with oversubscribed schools the 'score achieved' is obviously more important.
abc123help!

Post by abc123help! »

Thanks for this ... it has confirmed my thoughts after all this time. Despite this excellent website, appealing for a Slough consortium place is a lonely place to be!!

I wonder if HGS still need to see that scores of around 120 - 125 should be achievable, as if you have 111 and live next door to the school, you're practically in ... Maybe so as many of those who have passed and don't get a place after 1st March will appeal, so that the need to show high score ability will remain ...
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Does that mean with medical circumstances and academic it is easier to appeal and suceed within a Bucks school than a Consortium school?

Has anyone had their Consortium appeal yet?

I have mine next week :?
abc123help!

Post by abc123help! »

Have not been on here for a while ...

Chad's posting above seems to confirm my impression that overall a Bucks appeal is likely to be more successful than a Consortium one. I do have an HGS appeal next week, but am not hopeful as in the results letter they stated that last year only 3/80 appeals were successful. That suggests that circumstances have to be very compelling and academic ability has to be very high ...

I wish you good luck with your appeals.