Are all Bucks appeals finished?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest2

Are all Bucks appeals finished?

Post by Guest2 »

Hi all,

Are all the appeals in Bucks now finished or are there any poor devils still waiting? Also anyone still waiting for results?

Read loads on this site and been very useful. Sally-Anne do you have to run the gauntlet of the 11 + next year, if so best of luck.

I know that I will be logging on in Nov and trying to help anyone if I can albeit with far less knowlege than Etienne, Sally-Anne, Guest55 etc. Its funny though how close you get to people on this site and how you take the highs and lows.

Many thanks to all.
Guest2
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I know some were scheduled for last week - perhaps the snow meant some had to be postponed as local roads were impassable.

I suspect a few are still waiting ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest2

No, I suspect there are still another couple of weeks of Appeals to go - they usually finish by around Feb 25th, if I recall correctly, in time for the school allocations on March 1st.

We don't have to suffer the 11+ this year, but we do have the 12+, then the 11+ next year. I really think we should just run away!!

Please do come back in November - everyone's experience of Appeals is worth having, successful or not. My experience is based on avid readership of the forum, plus knowing what I did wrong myself!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne

P.S. I'm glad that my "post-it" note tip on schoolbooks has gone down well with panels. Something I invented this year, and yet one more trick that I missed last year. :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi Sally-Anne,

Have you decided to go for the 12+ yet? It's a difficult decision to move a child but we have not regretted it. In some ways it put right the 'mistake' made at 11+ and, seeing our child do so well in a Grammar school has been worth it.

Whatever you decide I'm sure that, with your support, your children will be fine!

I always worry about the children who just miss the 121 who do not have parents willing or able to support them -
waddle

Bucks appeal

Post by waddle »

Our appeal was heard on Monday 12/2 and was successful. I suspect it was one of the last (it was a re-hearing) as the list on the reception desk of County Hall was only four names and no one was waiting whilst we were (waited for almost an hour).
Guest38

Post by Guest38 »

Hi Waddle,

Glad to hear your appeal was successful. Would you mind sharing your experience as to why your case was a re-appeal and when was your previous appeal, assuming you had one? Im just curious. Thanks.
Waddle

Successful reappeal

Post by Waddle »

Hi Guest,

Our appeal was a re-hearing as the first was held 'in absentie' (sp?) due to the unexpected death of my mother.

When the rejection letter arrived, it failed to mention the strongest piece of evidence submitted (that our child passed the entrance exam to an out of school grammar), merely quoting one of the weakest pieces of evidence (Year 5 report). So ... (sorry, long story, this!)

I sent off a cheque for £10 asking for a copy of the clerk's notes, and mentioned that the evidence quoted was not the strongest submitted. We received a reply stating that the clerk's notes were 'inconclusive', and an offer of a re-appeal. Clearly a maladministration (I suspect that cos we were unable to attend, we were dismissed as uninterested).

Attended re-appeal, and there was lots of head nodding all the way through, case was very strong, despite score of 118. Hope this helps.
Guest38

Post by Guest38 »

Thank you Waddle for sharing your experience and I'm sorry about your mother. No doubt you, like myself are waiting anxiously for tomorrow morning to find out which school? Our son's appeal was sucessful too but whether he will get his 1st preference school remains to be seen! We're in catchment, and its the nearest grammar to us but ....until I have the letter tomorrow I am remaining pessimistic!
waddle

Re-appeal

Post by waddle »

Certainly am anxious Guest 38 - why else are we all logging on at such an anti social hour! Hopefully we'll all get the news we want tomorrow and can move on to other, non 11+, forums!! Good luck.
Guest38

Post by Guest38 »

How did you do Waddle? My son got his 1st preference of AGS which he is absolutely delighted! I don't know what was worse, opening the appeal letter or this one! Hope you have had the news you wanted.