Appeal Query 116 & 118 (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Appeal Query 116 & 118 (Bucks)

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi lulu
lulu1408 wrote:Based on my DS class teacher's end of year report, they rank him positively academically but behaviour-wise, it's mainly negative. I have gone through his Year 5 report and can pick out 15 positives out of 5 negatives, summarily that he responds well to feedback, is versatile, naturally able, an independent worker who's confident in maths, a contributor, team player, can create and use a database in IT etc....
I think you should reconsider submitting the report. Comments such as "naturally able" and "independent worker" are very positive indeed. Such comments about ability are quite rare in state school reports (if this is a state school), which tend to talk about children working hard on lovely projects and being sweet little milk monitors.
the negatives suggest that he struggles with imagination (creative writing)
His ability leans towards science and maths ...
does not have a regular reading book (been working on this), easily distracted, inconsistent in science and at times disruptive.
These are issues with behaviour, not ability, and it is his ability that the panel are trying to assess. To illustrate the point, if appeal decisions were made on the basis of behaviour there would be a lot of compliant, hard-working but less able children struggling desperately in grammar schools, and a lot of very able children creating mayhem through boredom in upper schools.

We are talking about a boy, and as the keeper of two of the species myself, none of these traits are necessarily unusual! As you yourself mention, they may be indicative of the need for a more stimulating and rigorous academic environment that will keep him focussed ...

Sally-Anne
lulu1408

Post by lulu1408 »

Well, we had our appeal hearing today. Such a gruesome experience. We were in that room for almost 1 hour and we felt hammered. They kept on asking one particular question time and again, pushing us into a tight corner. My child's in a state school which does not do CATS and VR/NVR tests and they claimed that our documentation was not enough. We had our child's school reports, class work and documental evidence to back our appeal but that did not seem enough. We left that room feeling dejected.............. at one point we felt that the LEA rep was on our side, fighting our corner as he kept drawing us all back onto the main issue; academic evidence, which we had distributed to all! I've never been in a courtroom before but it sure felt like it! Never will I want to be in that position again. I don't hold out any hope of success after today. Local comp here we come :( :o :shock: :?

I would still like to wish everyone for their support. Sally-Anne, thanks for your response and for your pm and Etienne thanks for your feedback. I would like to thank everyone else for your support and guidance. It surely was such a great help knowing that I was not alone and that others have been down this road before me, successfully or not. Thank you immensely and I will certainly be back again in a few months for my DD's 11+ preparation :-)
rubyblueruby

Post by rubyblueruby »

We are out of county and didn't have CATs or VR test evidence but somehow we were lucky enough to get through on appeal, so don't lose heart. Wishing you all the best. RBR :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Lulu, don't give up even though it was a ghastly experience - as many people report you can't tell from how the meeting with the panel went. Still got all fingers (and toes) crossed here that you will get some good news. :wink:
mk123

Post by mk123 »

Lulu, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! I am sure you have read the wise post from Etienne regarding the appeals outcome and parents perception:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=13216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep us posted.
mk123
cairo

Post by cairo »

Lulu - Having been through an appeal myself last year, I know how gruelling and exhausting they can be. Whatever happens though, at least both you and your DS can take comfort from the fact that you gave it your best shot.

In your current situation, it would have been easy for you to think the appeal was not worth the bother / not the most important thing at the moment - so good for you, for giving it a go. If you hadn't, in the future you might have regretted not doing so.

Best of luck!

PS I came out of my appeal in floods of tears, with no real feel for how it went. Fortunately, we were successful.
welbury

Post by welbury »

Yeah I'd echo what others are saying. It's a gruelling process but you only needed to persuade two of the panel. They clearly wanted to make sure they'd considered everything. Fingers crossed for you.
lulu1408

Post by lulu1408 »

Thank you all for your comments. During the appeal one lady did not appear to have looked through our paperwork or to be listening to what we were saying as she kept on asking questions that we'd already answered. It may be that she wanted to ensure that we were telling the truth, which we were! Of the panel I think we only managed to persuade one person (plus the LEA rep). There were 2 ladies and one gentleman. It really was hammering and full-on. I am looking out for the postman today (rather apprehensively). It's reassuring knowing that we tried our very best at the appeal and that whatever happens now we know that we did try. I remember reading a thread on here a while ago about the possibility of earlier appeal hearings being more successful than the later ones so not really hopeful but far wiser!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi lulu
lulu1408 wrote:I am looking out for the postman today (rather apprehensively).
You may have a bit more of a wait I am afraid. At present letters are arriving three working days after the appeal, so it is unlikely you will hear before Saturday, and it could even be as late as Tuesday before you hear.

I do have a feeling that the appeals are almost over now though, so things could speed up a little.
I remember reading a thread on here a while ago about the possibility of earlier appeal hearings being more successful than the later ones
That is most definitely not the case!

I do hope it is good news for you.

Sally-Anne
lulu1408

Post by lulu1408 »

Despite me saying "whatever the outcome", I grabbed the post as soon as it dropped through the letterbox. The letter was there. I've never been so scared in my life but I am now shedding tears of joy as I write this because we have positive news. I have read and re-read the letter in case I am reading into things that are not there but it clearly says "the IAP satisfied themselves that there was sufficient evidence to meet the criteria for selection and therefore pleased to inform us that our appeal was successful". I'm so overcome with emotion. It's been a stressful wait, a rollercoaster of emotion. Can I just thank you once again for your support. Sally-Anne and Etienne, your advice and support is insurmountable. You have given such valued advice and provided so much information. I shall be forever grateful to this website as I would not have been able to prepare for the hearing without all the tips and general advice that has been made available. I am in gratitude to everyone who has been encouraging throughout this journey. Thank you so much! I can now have a celebratory glass (or 2) of wine. Much needed after the wait.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now