Non qualification appeal - parental mitigating circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mrs B

Non qualification appeal - parental mitigating circumstances

Post by Mrs B »

My son did not pass the 11+ by a HUGE amount (best score 198 against a cut off mark of 220)

First test - VR - 105 NVR - 91
Second tesst - VR - 107 NVR - 91

This was a huge suprise as we had expected him to pass and although he was not tutored in all the practice tests he achieved 90%+

My son sat the tests later than his peers due to a medical condition which meant he required special circumstances.

However my husband was off work with stress at the beginning of September and signed off work with depression following a breakdown the week of my son's first test.

At the time I had not realised how much my son was affected by his fathers depression but he is finding it very difficult to deal with and I suspect this affected his test results.

His headteacher has confirmed they will support a selection review (he is expected to achieve 5a SATS and has a very advanced reading age).

I am finding it very difficult to order my jumbled thoughts and am unsure how much information re his dad to include on the selection test review form.

Any advice gratefully received!
hermanmunster

Re: Non qualification appeal - parental mitigating circumsta

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Mrs B

Which area are you in?
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thank you for your reply!

We are in North Yorkshire - the review is for Ermysteds.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Ok the passmark this is 220 which is the score reached by 28% of the local kids. OOC children have to reach the same level - usually they can offer to nearly all of the OOC kids who get the passmark.

There are a number of qualification appeals each year - with very variable success, though I have to say quite a low success rate (will find the figures shortly) .

Most I have heard of are usually within 1-2 points of the pass mark (last year it was 227 and the 224-226 had a good chance).

I think if you appeal you unfortunately have quite an uphill struggle as your DS is quite a way from the passmark in both tests, however you never know unless you try - but please bear in mind that it is an emotionally exhausting struggle.

Have a go at looking at the appeals Q&A at the top of the appeals page and also the figures I will find in a mo and come back with any questions,

edit:
http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/CHttpHandl ... d=8786&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; page 16 gives the figures for appeals
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I know that we will really struggle given the scores he achieved, but feel that we owe it to him to try - it is not his fault that homelife is so disrupted and difficult at the moment. I have read the Q & A's and been lurking on the forum for a few weeks gathering advice.

He is currently being supported by school and an Educational Support worker as he is struggling with everything going on at home.

His older brother is at Ermysteds and it seemed a given he would get in too, this stupid, frustrating illness is ruining everything :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You won't know unless you give it a go !

Need to get evidence, evidence, evidence - for both academic ability and extenuating circumstances. Letters / reports etc etc

Are you in area?
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

No just outside unfortunately!

I have requested letters from GP to confirm husbands illness, education suppport person to confirm the effect on my son and the Headteacher is currently doing her report.

Do you know if we will automatically go to an appeals panel or if they can make a 'no' decision based on the application form?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is technically a non statutory review panel for non qualification initially, http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/CHttpHandl ... d=5346&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not aware of anyone being turned down at the application form stage!

Might be worth talking it through with the LEA staff.?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I've sent you a private message

herman
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now