Heads recommendation and interpretatin of results (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jacket1

Re: Heads recommendation and interpretatin of results (Bucks

Post by jacket1 »

OK, school has confirmed error on SATS and will change (and initial) the report.

I asked about the VR and NVR results in Sept 09 and they confirmed they were correct @ 105 and 109.

I asked if I could see the papers and to their great credit the school have retrieved them from the archive/cellar and a review shows that DD ran out of time and left complete chunks blank.. :roll:

She obviously didn't know how important they may prove and at the age of 9 her timings were appalling. Well at least it explains the variance. I am hoping to get the school to comment and confirm this in writing. I hope this will be enough for the panel to understand the poor VR results in Y5 tests. We may ask the head to revisit the recommendation in light of this.

Feeling a little better and less puzzled. Thank you all for your help and advice

Jacket1
jacket1

Independent testing

Post by jacket1 »

Thank you all for previous support and input. I now have a new question, hence the new thread. Apologies if I got this wrong.

Our DD school only did VR and Non VR tests at the start of year 5. Now we are going to appeal, DD got 119, we find that her results were only 105 &109, and so head gave her a 3:2. We couldn't understand this as all other indicators, practice papers etc. were for a reasonable pass.

We found out today that DD only completed 2/3's of the questions, clearly either not planning her time properly, or at that age not realising the tests were being timed etc. Of the questions she answered she got 89% raw score and discussion with head indicated that had DD completed the test at the 89% rate she would have been heading for a SAS of around 127. All theoretical and non evidential know, and I know speed is part of the test but but age can be a big factor in time management. The Head has noted pace as an issue in these results (Y5) on their report form, and agreed that speed is no issue now.

My questions are

1. Should I mention this in the appeal letter, or just let the panel see it in the heads report and let them draw it out in conversation?

2 Are there any organisations that perform a VR and NVR test in a controlled environment that an appeal panel would accept, or does it now need to be in the form of a full educational assessment report? If only the school the school had done a controlled test in year 6.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas.

Jacket
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Jacket,

It is really helpful if you can keep all the information about your appeal in one place, even if you are moving on from the original question.
Are there any organisations that perform a VR and NVR test in a controlled environment that an appeal panel would accept, or does it now need to be in the form of a full educational assessment report?
I'm not aware of any other organisation that can perform this type of test, in a controlled environment other than an EP.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've heard of a tutoring organisation that does a VR, Q and NVR assessment as part of its own programme, but it's unlikely to carry any weight with an appeal panel.
Etienne
jacket1

Post by jacket1 »

Mitasol, apologies and thanks.

Etienne, yes also have heard of tutoring organisations that do it, but I was thinking of a more offical body that would carry some weight and credibility with the panel i.e: if nfer addminister their own tests etc.

By the looks of it there isn't :(

As ever, thank you

Jacket
jacket1

Post by jacket1 »

Good morning all, I have been lurking, reading and learning all the time, thanks everyone.

Our appeal draws near and we have received the "pack". As you may know DD received a 3 recommendation and a 2 for attitude.

We now have the pack details and I wondered if I could ask for opinions as to whether we would be justified in questioning the heads recommendations?

According to the pack from DD's Year 13 took the test and 5 passed.

Recommendation:Attitude No:(passed)

1:1 2(2)
2:1 2(1)
3:2 4(0)
3:3 3(1)
Number of children not recommended 2 (1)

As I say DD was a 3:2, do the actual results help or hinder our case. I personally feel that, with 2 of 5 passing from either the 3:3 or not even recommended, the recommendations were not accurate (but then I would, wouldn't I). I would really appreciate some unbiased feedback and opinions to make sure I am not going down the wrong path.
Thanks you and good luck

Jacket
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'd rather not get drawn into discussing individual schools, I'm afraid - and anyway it would be difficult to draw firm conclusions when the numbers are so small.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
especially E9d (iv), (v), (vi).

I'd be wary about questioning the head's recommendations. The head won't be there, and no one else at the hearing will be in a position to say exactly how the recommendations were arrived at.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now