To appeal or not (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2ndopinion

To appeal or not (Bucks)

Post by 2ndopinion »

Moved into Bucks area September, son had been bullied for 2 years at previous school so found it hard to settle in new school, he came from a class of 22 he was in the top 4 to suddenly being 1 of 64 he felt he wasn't doing very good and they were all better. Came home with familarisation test and I realised he didn't do well and there was a problem as in previous tests at home I had had no concerns, in the Bucks moving to secondary school it said if you had recently moved into the area you could delay the 11+ test, spoke to school and test was delayed by 4 days and 2 days, which I felt wasn't much. He achieved 107 and 108 and in a maths test at school at around the same time he had dropped from a 4a to a 4c, has now gone back upto 4a. He is expected to get 5's in his sats. Just don't know if it is worth appealing, HT said he would support if we decide to appeal.
Etienne

Re: To appeal or not

Post by Etienne »

There are clearly extenuating circumstances, but I think the academic evidence would need to be compelling - more than predicted 5s and the headteacher's support.

See http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evidence of reasoning ability at around 90th percentile might be useful, as would the strength of the headteacher's support (and the way in which he chooses to word it).

Level 5 covers a wide range of ability, so 'sound level 5' predictions would be better than 'level 5'.

Come back if you'd like to discuss further.
Etienne
2ndopinion

Re: To appeal or not (Bucks)

Post by 2ndopinion »

Thank you for your response, we have decided we will not appeal as too stressful. The school wants to concentrate onbuilding his self esteem this school year and then look again at suitabilty of Grammer school for him. At this moment in time we are considering the 12+ as new to Bucks area have no idea when this takes place, when child could get into Grammer school, how different it is etc, also son now wants a tutor so he can bring his levels up, any recommendation for Chalfont area.
Sally-Anne

Re: To appeal or not (Bucks)

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi 2ndopinion
2ndopinion wrote:At this moment in time we are considering the 12+ as new to Bucks area have no idea when this takes place, when child could get into Grammer school, how different it is etc
Take a look at this page of the site for information about the 12+:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please check very carefully what the chances are of:

a) Getting the right to take the test;
b) Gaining a place if your child qualifies.

Sally-Anne