11+ score advice & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: 11+ score advice

Post by Etienne »

The report that was given was a year old and my concern is if the appeal panel will disregard this.
I wouldn't have thought so. Evidence of level 5s a year ago is still evidence of ability.
Would i need to contact the school and get an up to date report and would i need to contact the class teacher and head teacher and get them to write a personal report.
I'm not sure what they can do now (other than write about what your son was like a year ago).
The situation is as a homeschooled student which academic evidence will make our case a strong case in front of the appeal panel.
Exactly the same advice that I've given before - as wide a range of evidence of high ability as possible. If you homeschool, and thereby risk limiting some of the options, you might need to consider paying for an educational psychologist's report:-
An educational psychologist’s report (this may or may not help – See B3 . Might be useful if the other academic evidence is limited, or where there is no alternative evidence of reasoning ability).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does anyone have any experience of homeschooled student appeal cases.
I can only recall one previous case on the forum (and I think it may have been oversubscription only).
Etienne
MADMUM123

YOUR HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED DEJAVU !!!

Post by MADMUM123 »

Hi dejavu,

I really need your help in my sons appeal. I have followed your posts and other people have mentioned that using your bullet points and your statements that you had made for your appeal have benefited them. They have mentioned your profile in many of the posts because you have helped many parents in the appeal process. I would really appreciate it if you can email me some tips and advice and most importantly if you can send me a copy of your appeal notes and speech that you gave to the appeal panel. As i have never put an appeal forward. I would like to see how a appeal is put together. I have so much to say about my sons academic work and character that i am finding it difficult to put it all together in a presentable manner for the appeal. You have presented it to the panel in an eloquent way. I would really appreciate it if you can respond as soon as possible.

Kind Regards
MADMUM123
dejavu

Re: YOUR HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED DEJAVU !!!

Post by dejavu »

Hi there - sorry I couldn't reply to your PM - I have ben away in the north - and even as far away as Scotland - and I couldn't afford to phone your mobile number which you gave.

To be honest - I don't really think that I can help much. As yours is a non-qualification appeal - I've only had a 50% success rate - and the one that I won was 5 years ago!! I'm sorry, but any appeal notes and speeches have long since been recycled!

Just don't panic - you have a lot of mitigating circumstances.

I did the "bullet" points in order of importance in my letter (backed up with evidence such as head's reports, which were listed as appendices in brackets next to the headings - to make it easier for the panel to find them). But the bullet points (or headings in the letter) were just there to focus our case. You can always expand more in the actual appeal.

You could always start off with something like "We believe our son's result wasn't a true reflection of his academic abilities - as confirmed by his former headteacher/school reports" (see appendix x.....). And then go on to present your case...

But presumably the Panel will ask you about the home schooling - you must have records of when and WHY it took place? Why did you get him home-schooled - because of the bullying - and for how long (and do you have recorded evidence about this?)? His end of year 5 Sats are really good . And what about the back up - "health reasons" - yours or his, either might be of importance.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help - and good luck. Just take a deep breath when you go in there - and so many panels put you at ease - don't think it will be as bad as you think it will be. Even if you just garble on (which I did 5 years ago!)- most discerning panels will be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff!!!
many thanks
dejavu
MADMUM123

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS BY 11+ APPEAL PANEL !!!

Post by MADMUM123 »

Hi,

I just wanted to ask people who have had 11+ appeal hearing experience and would like to ask them what were the most frequent questions asked by the appeal panel in your hearing. If you can respond as soon as possible that would be much appreciated as my appeal hearing is close.
Thanks !!!

Kind Regards
MADMUM123
Etienne

Re: 11+ score advice & other questions

Post by Etienne »

Sorry you've not had a response, Madmum, but people are probably wondering if you've seen the feedback sticky at the top of the page where parents have been kindly reporting for over two years on what questions they were asked at their hearing.

'Questions' are also discussed at various points in sections B and E of the Q&As.

It does worry me when you write "I have so much to say about my sons academic work and character that i am finding it difficult to put it all together in a presentable manner for the appeal".

If you read the Q&As carefully (and I know there's a lot to take in), you'll see that character doesn't really come into it. Nor - to be honest - will anything you say about your son's academic work. What matters is hard evidence. How to present it is the least of your worries. Again, this is all explained in the Q&As.

Look at Whiteheart's recent report in the feedback section:
All I can say is EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE and no Waffling!
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now