Appeal Information - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Woolford

Re: Appeal Information - Graph - Scores of 141 Registering

Post by Woolford »

Well requested DS retook reading test. - Reading Age now 12 yrs 8 months!

How do we play this at the appeal - as the school submitted the Oct 2010 score of 10 yrs 8 months on the appeal summary sheet. Apparently ds was 12 yrs at the end of year 5, so really annoyed the school did not think something was amiss.

They have also submitted a score of 117 taken in July 2007 GL Assessment NFER Nelson. Does anybody know what this test is and if 117 is a good or bad score?

They have also given a '3' recommendation because ds lacks confidence and they worry about how he would cope in a grammar school environment. How do we get around this ??

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Appeal Information - Graph - Scores of 141 Registering

Post by Etienne »

Woolford wrote:Well requested DS retook reading test. - Reading Age now 12 yrs 8 months!

How do we play this at the appeal - as the school submitted the Oct 2010 score of 10 yrs 8 months on the appeal summary sheet. Apparently ds was 12 yrs at the end of year 5, so really annoyed the school did not think something was amiss.
Have you got the new score in writing? You should take 5-6 copies with you to the hearing and give them to the clerk. Tell the panel why you queried the reading age, and about the year 5 result.
They have also submitted a score of 117 taken in July 2007 GL Assessment NFER Nelson. Does anybody know what this test is and if 117 is a good or bad score?
Do we even know if this is a VR test? I would say 117 is borderline.
They have also given a '3' recommendation because ds lacks confidence and they worry about how he would cope in a grammar school environment. How do we get around this ??
I assume they've put all this in writing. If so, I think you need to refer to this comment, gently point out that the 11+ is a test of ability, and invite the panel to focus on your son's ability and potential. Then go on to highlight any strong academic evidence.
Etienne
Woolford

Re: Appeal Information - Bucks Graph - Scores of 141 Registe

Post by Woolford »

Etienne,

Thank you. Yes, the school are going to put about the reading age in writing - but so annoying it wasn't picked up before the school submitted it! They are also going to write a letter about ds lack of confidence in his ability. Shame it has taken this long to get a response from them!

Yes the NFER Assessment is verbal reasoning. When questioned what test this is - nobody at the school knew! The trouble we are having is that since the 11+ they have had a new head & deputy head and both the year 5 teachers have left!! - which is not helping! Although the new head appears to be very willing and helpful, she could not answer what test it was. Should I mention the school staff restructuring at the appeal?

We have no SATS results as the school do not do them.

Also, is it better to take all exercise books or just some or just pieces of work?

Thank you again,
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Woolford wrote:The trouble we are having is that since the 11+ they have had a new head & deputy head and both the year 5 teachers have left!! - which is not helping! Although the new head appears to be very willing and helpful, she could not answer what test it was. Should I mention the school staff restructuring at the appeal?
Yes, worth a brief mention. Might help explain the way they handled the reading age.
Also, is it better to take all exercise books or just some or just pieces of work?
Please see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you again
Glad to be of help.
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Hi Etienne,

After reading the link, it has thrown up another question - sorry to take up so much of your time!!

I believe one of the questions the panel may ask is how my ds found the 11+ papers? - he scored 120 & 118 respectively.

DS said that he found the first paper harder and the second one easier, although puzzling he got less on paper 2. So, bearing this in mind, how do we respond to the question if asked? He did finish both papers in time.

I did not request the raw score, but does anybody know for a May birthday approx what scores this would have been?

Kind thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just answer truthfully. I don't think it will be of any significance at all in your case. It's not unusual for a child to score more highly in the "more difficult" paper. You don't have to explain it, but it's what can happen with standardisation!

Someone else may know the answer to your other question.
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

How do I explain to the panel predicted high level 4's in sats - ds is in top sets etc where he thrives and copes well, but just falls apart in exams & tests - documented in school reports - will they be understanding to this - or are they only interested in level 5's. Already in year six though, teacher assessment sats show that he has already moved 1 place in each subject and 2 in reading.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, not quite sure what is meant by "moved 1 place".
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Sorry ... I should have put 1 sub level!

Hope that is clearer,

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think they usually like to see level 5 predictions wherever possible.

You could try making the point that DS is in top sets etc where he thrives and copes well, but historically has tended to underperform in exams & tests - however, in year six, teacher assessment SATs show that he has already moved 1 sub-level in each subject and 2 in reading. (Depends on the exact date of these. One sub-level per half-year would be the expected rate of progress.)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now