Appeal Information - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Woolford

Re: Appeal Information - Bucks Graph - Scores of 141 Registe

Post by Woolford »

I think the panick is setting in!!...

I have today sent in some further information etc to be included within my ds appeal.

To back up the facts that ds has always suffered with confidence issues, especially in exam conditions .. I have sent in extracts from each year school reports which back this up. Now I am panicking, that I am highlighting the negatives too much and they will think that he is just too lacking in confidence for a grammar school environment.

I did also enclose a letter from the school, that they wrote this week, saying that ds has vastly improved recently and that his confidence has grown - but I am wondering if I have over highlighted the weaknesses too much and how can I correct this and with what should I say on the appeal day ... all they will have is my word for this, his recent academic test results - showing he has moved 1 sub level this term already and the letter from the school - help!!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There's no harm in honestly acknowledging there's been a confidence issue in the past, but ....
a letter from the school, that they wrote this week, saying that ds has vastly improved recently and that his confidence has grown
..... this is surely the up-to-date bit of information you want to highlight at the hearing?
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Etienne,

Thank you.... your time and comments are invaluable.

I did send this letter as well, highlighting the improvements, but I suppose I was just panicking ... worrying they will pick up on all the negatives and that I had tried to be too honest including all the back up relating to this (have I included too much detail??? ) and thinking that I will have to try and drastically turn it around and highlight all the plus points etc:).
Woolford

How do I know if my DC school is classed as high achieving?

Post by Woolford »

Just a thought, on what basis and facts does the panel decide if the childs current school is high achieving? My ds school is above LA average on league tables in KS2 and sets for ability in Maths & English into two classes- is this the evidence they are looking for - I am looking to use this information in my ds appeal !
Last edited by Woolford on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you point out that the school is above LA average on KS2 league tables, that should be sufficient. There wouldn't be a specific figure, but the further above average, presumably the better!
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Etienne,

Thank you again for your help :D

Not long too go now and hopefully not too many more questions to ask - just trying to make sure I have covered everything!!!

In your valued opinion, can one be seen as too 'polished' at an appeal - or do the panel think you are just prepared?
Woolford

Re: Appeal Information - Bucks

Post by Woolford »

I am just finishing compiling my paperwork and wish to include my ds spelling & reading results. I have been told by the school that these are on the 85 percentile.

Would 11+ scores of 120 + 118 also fall within this percentile - how do I work it out (will it be the same as NFER website)?

I also have a standardised NFER verbal reasoning result of 117 to include. I have tried to work out the percentile for this on the NFER website - which makes it fall on the 87 percentile. Am i doing this right - as I do not want to provide any incorrect info!

Thanks again ... all help gratefully received :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Woolford wrote:Would 11+ scores of 120 + 118 also fall within this percentile - how do I work it out (will it be the same as NFER website)?
The Bucks 11+ is not a nationally standardised test, so you can't work out the percentile.
I also have a standardised NFER verbal reasoning result of 117 to include. I have tried to work out the percentile for this on the NFER website - which makes it fall on the 87 percentile. Am i doing this right - as I do not want to provide any incorrect info!
It looks correct.
can one be seen as too 'polished' at an appeal
Better, I would suggest, to be as natural as possible - and understandably nervous!
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Etienne,

Thank you ...

Would it be advisable and appropriate to include these percentile results? What sort of percentile would the panel be looking for?

I don't think I will have much trouble looking nervous ... I am and I will be !!!!!!!!!!

My ds has heard his friend won his appeal today ... so now the pressure and the eyes are all on us !!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There's no magic number, but around the 90th+ percentile might make a good impression.

Worth mentioning if the scores are thereabouts.
Etienne