Appeal Information - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Woolford

Re: Appeal Information - Bucks

Post by Woolford »

just another thought, my ds was unfortunately given a puzzling 3:2 in his teacher recommendation. This was done early in the autumn term, by a new head who had just joined in Sept and both of my ds year 5 teachers had left - when questioned recently we have been informed this was done to ds documented nervousness & therefore suitability to grammar school! The new head teacher then issued a statement of support in Dec 10 stating " we strongly believe that .... underperformed in the 11+, and did not reach his expectations or reflect his true academic ability or potential". I am obviously referring to this Dec'10 statment in my appeal, but should I also make reference to the head teacher just joining the school and the year 5 teachers having left, or just leave it?

Also, annoyingly they entered a reading age on the forms, which we questioned. When re-tested, ds score came out 2 year + higher than this - they have written to confirm the new score and this 'blip', as they so kindly put it - but should I be mentioning all these inconsitencies or will it make it look like I am grasping at straws???
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If they've written to update the reading age, that's fine, and I think is enough.

The 3:2 is potentially a more serious issue, and you need to put your explanation across.

If you do this early on, it might look as if you're over-anxious, and rushing to offer 'excuses'.

The best way of doing it is to wait for a question (and it's quite likely someone will ask "Do you know why only a '3' recommendation' was given?"). Then you have a perfect opportunity to respond.

If you're unlucky, and don't get a suitable question, slip your explanation in to your summing up at the end.
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Etienne,

Thank you ... should I add the bit about the new Head Teacher etc doing the report, or just respond with the confidence issue, being the reason why ds was given a 3??

Hope that makes sense!
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

and another thought ... due to the feeling I will be too nervous - I have written my appeal 'speach' to read out - will the panel stop and question me as I go along, or wait until the end and will it be acceptable to read it off paper, or will the panel frown on this ???

thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Woolford wrote:and another thought ... due to the feeling I will be too nervous - I have written my appeal 'speach' to read out - will the panel stop and question me as I go along, or wait until the end
They will wait until the end.
and will it be acceptable to read it off paper, or will the panel frown on this ???
Perfectly acceptable - this is what most parents are likely to do.
should I add the bit about the new Head Teacher etc doing the report
Definitely - it adds to the explanation.
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Thank you :D

Can I just clarify, do I make the 'speech' and then the panel ask their questions and then sum up - or do I make the speech, sum up and then the panel ask their questions?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

See E19a:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Well .. my turn today - up bright & early (couldn't sleep reallyy!!)

Yesterday, my ds brought home his school books to take. Well, I was devasted!! The content is messy ( of which there is very little!) His year 5 books were immaculate and I was rather stupidly expacting the same! Should I take the year 6 books, or just the year 5 ones and explain that there was not much content in them to bring? They could easily be from two different children they are that bad!

Also, am beginning to worry, if they ask me how my ds reading & spelling ages can be 2 + years above his age, when ds falls apart in a test situation (all documented) - would these not also be classed as a test and why would he be able to achieve so highly and his nerves not affect him then ??

Sadly I ended up shouting at my ds about this and today feel really bad - I think we all just get so whipped up in the frenzieand emotion .. I will be glad when today is over, and perhaps then we can think about something else rather than the 11+, luckily we have a good upper school if all fails, so I am trying to think 'what will be, will be'!!

I will post later to let you know of my experience. I am going with a friend, as my husband is unwell, so not sure if that will look good or bad??

:roll:
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

I'm not surprised you couldn't sleep. If you haven't left yet - do take my good wishes with you when you go!
Just think, a few hours on and this will all be over. You will have done your absolute best!
Wishing you the very best of luck, and hope all goes well.
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

Thank you :D

Not until 1pm - not sure if that is last before lunch or first after!!!!!!!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now