Appeal Information - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Woolford

Re: Appeal Information - Bucks

Post by Woolford »

Well, just thought I would post back and let you know it is a 'no' for us as well - on 120 +118!

Our ds is happy with the secondary school he will get and we have told him that he will be better off and more comfortable being top of the school, than maybe struggling at a grammar - he will still have the same opportunities - and maybe more - he will have a much better chance of being recognised as being "clever and being a hard worked" at a secondary school - our parents evenings should be a 'delight' rather than "he is struggling" and hopefully will be on the gifted and talented register.

We think, for us and our ds, this is the right decision ... we have previous children at both schools, grammar and secondary, and know from experience how demoralising it can be at grammar to be struggling when others are naturally excelling - our dd at grammar even wished she had gone to her siblings secondary school!!

I think you have to take each child as they are ..... the pressure of a grammar can sometimes have a negative effect. Our ds at secondary school is head boy, captain of the basket ball team and frequently gets "praise on a postcard" ... he would never of had this chance at grammar -where the competition would be so much greater and where he probably would have floundered.

Well that's if from me ... 3 children all over and done with - good luck to everybody who is waiting for their results - and please bear in mind that children DO and can excel at secondary schools - they are not failures !!
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

Sorry to hear your news woolford, but you have rationalised very well and I know u r right! Can't believe I am going to be doing all this again this year with the next ds , then another 3 after that ! Lord help me , I'll b grey in no time at all . Good luck to your son x
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

The Firs - thank you .... and best wishes to you and your children in the future - I am sooo relieved that it is all over for me - going to bin all the 11+ papers we have (and that is quite a few!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and move on ... pressures of SATS, GCSE & A Levels now ... don't remember them telling me about all these pressures when thinking about having children!!!!

I honestly believe, for us, it will be the right decision .. and for our ds to aim for grammar school at 6th form, which we believe will be well within his capabilities,

Kind thanks, this forum has been a valuable asset to me - think i'm going to miss it!!

Woolford
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Sorry to hear your news Woolford, but with such positive parents, your dc's will flourish for sure, wherever they go to school. Enjoy your reprieve from it all :D
loli34

Post by loli34 »

So sorry to hear your news Woolford xx

I have read your thread with interest - and your rationalisation on hearing your result is remarkable, we go to appeal next Mon - I am dreading it we have a very borderline case and lower 11+ scores, so I am already feeling the weight - however I think if the result is not what I want to hear I will come back and take comfort in your post, we to have a perfectly good upper and I know that DD will do well wherever she goes.

Congrats on being such a level headed parent

**** :) :D
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

I am full of admiration for you Woolford. I would like to think that I would have taken the same approach in your position. You haven't let your child down, you have given them the opportunity to see if grammar was right for them and now you will send them off to secondary school with exactly the right frame of mind that they need to succeed. Full of self esteem. They can look up to their elder brother and see that an upper school can be a great place to be. I know this to be true because I have seen many a child blossom in their environment, especially when the parents give them positive vibes about the place.
All the best to you and your child. Maybe you'll come back in years to come and tell us about their successes.
Big hug.
Mrs Chubbs
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

MrsChubbs wrote:I am full of admiration for you Woolford.
Big hug.
Mrs Chubbs
Hear, hear! :)
Woolford wrote:I honestly believe, for us, it will be the right decision .. and for our ds to aim for grammar school at 6th form, which we believe will be well within his capabilities,
If that's what he wants at the time, I truly believe he will achieve it.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now