Appealing for a second time (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Justine

Appealing for a second time (Bucks)

Post by Justine »

Hello, may I first say how grateful I am to this website and those who participate in keeping it running and offering great advice and comfort to worried and anxious parents. I am needing advice for the second time and as you were absolutely on the money the first time around and hence we had a successful outcome, I would be truly grateful for your help again with our second child.
Obviously I know first hand how important having a strong case of academic ability is if there is no extenuating circumstances and this is where I become a little stuck!
My DS managed a wonderful effort of 119 and 120 and we are very proud of this but do feel that on reflection of my first child's time at GS that he too would in fact suit a GS setting but up until recently has not really shown his true potential and so his HT has him as a 3:2 but has added that they have seen a vast improvement in his academic ability very recently and so are now saying that they fully support this appeal and that he would suit a GS . He is predicted as reaching level 5's in Maths & English. Only 113 on CATs but my other son didn't do well on those either. My problem is that although his year 5 report has good scores all high 4's but a 5b for reading, the comments are not brilliant as its possible his output at school didn't reflect the scores he managed at the end of year 5. He had a change of friends towards the end of Yr 5, which we feel had a big impact on his academic turn around (change of friends, change of attitude).
Is it worth saying that we were at appeal two years ago for our other son and that it was successful and so realise the standard needed to survive at GS and that our other son is absolutely thriving and so we feel this would most probably be repeated by our younger son?
Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
Etienne

Re: Appealing for a second time

Post by Etienne »

Hello again, Justine (you glutton for punishment! :))
My DS managed a wonderful effort of 119 and 120
Good to see such high scores for an appeal.
and so realise the standard needed to survive at GS
Please don't say this. (Panel members hear it so often their groans are almost audible!)
and so we feel this would most probably be repeated by our younger son
:roll: Avoid assertions!

You could start your presentation with a smile, saying "Well, we had to appeal for our older son two years ago, and here we are again!" With any luck, the panel will smile too - and if they're tempted to ask you about your older son later on, you can then tell them he's thriving at grammar school!
Only 113 on CATs
Is this the overall score? What was the breakdown? Do you have an exact date for these tests?
a vast improvement in his academic ability very recently
Your strongest argument (along with two high scores).
the comments are not brilliant as its possible his output at school didn't reflect the scores he managed at the end of year 5. He had a change of friends towards the end of Yr 5, which we feel had a big impact on his academic turn around (change of friends, change of attitude).
Tell the panel all this openly and honestly, draw attention to the high 4's and 5b for reading .... and remind them of the recent vast improvement.
Etienne
Justine

Re: Appealing for a second time (Bucks)

Post by Justine »

Thank you once again Etienne for your comments, they make so much sense when I read them. His Cats were 113 overall and they break down as follows, V=119 Q=110 NV=110 and these were taken June this year. Again, I stress, my other son only did slightly better at these, may be a family trait to do terribly at CAT's :-)
I think that because he has only recently made great progress that I am afraid that I have little evidence to show the panel just how much he has improved. I take it that I shouldn't stress that he is one of the youngest in his year and very very immature???
His school are very good at predicting those who would pass and those who wouldn't and they have managed to be almost correct on all levels; they had two other pupils at 3:2's of which none of those passed either, will this too be a negative?
I am getting the feeling though, that I should just try not to add any flannel and to say the positive facts even if they are only a few, and try to answer questions from the panel instead, would I be right in this?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

His Cats were 113 overall and they break down as follows, V=119 Q=110 NV=110 and these were taken June this year.
Ah, 119 for VR sounds better. It's a bit borderline, but at least it wasn't taken this term.
I take it that I shouldn't stress that he is one of the youngest in his year and very very immature???
Actually I think this is a really important point, and you should emphasise it at the same time as you draw attention to the recent rapid progress.
His school are very good at predicting those who would pass and those who wouldn't and they have managed to be almost correct on all levels; they had two other pupils at 3:2's of which none of those passed either, will this too be a negative?
Possibly, but not necessarily. After all, if the head were seen to be over-generous, you'd be much worse off!

You need, I think, to admit that you have only a '3' recommendation because the panel will certainly spot it anyway. Then go on to say you don't know how early in the autumn term the head drew up his recommendations (he might have left them until the deadline, but could have done them earlier on). Mention that the head has a reputation for making realistic judgements, then draw attention to the much more recent comments ("vast improvement", "fully support this appeal and he would suit a GS") and point out that they were written later than the recommendations. Then make the point about age and maturity, and say "This is the basis on which I would respectfully ask you to consider my son's appeal."

Keep it short and to the point.
Etienne
Justine

Post by Justine »

Thank you once again, I can see from what you have said that this all makes absolute sense and I have taken it all on board.
One last question, did I read somewhere on the site that the LEA researched the effects of coaching and found that up to 4 marks could be achieved through a child being coached or have I just made that up?? I have tried in vain to find the post again and have not been able to so hence my belief that I am making it up. If it was there could you point me in the right direction and would you recommend mentioning it as we didn't have coaching but we did look at a few past papers online. I know this is a touchy subject but if there is the research out there then is it worth mentioning it?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, I don't believe it will carry any weight at all. If a parent says "My child wasn't coached," what proof is there?

Glad to be of help.
Etienne
Justine

Post by Justine »

Thank you once again Etienne, you have helped me out (for the second time) tremendously! :-)

Justine
Justine

Second time appeal

Post by Justine »

Wanted to let you know that we have just received news that our second appeal has been successful!! Thank goodness!
May I once again convey my true gratitude to everyone who has given me advice over the past 2/3years especially Etienne who has been my grounding and perfect advisor, you have been correct about everything on both sets of appeal and without this knowledge we may have had a very different outcome.
Chin up to all those who have their appeals still to come and I wish you all the very best; ensure you know your case inside and out and write down every possible thing you can that is about your child that could be asked by the appeal panel including any thoughts you have as, even though you won't read them out to the panel you may well use it to answer an unexpected question from the panel!
Thank you once again

Regards, Justine x
Etienne

Re: Second time appeal

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Justine. Very kind of you, but I can't take much credit because everyone has the case that they have. Perhaps a bit of tweaking at the edges .....

Delighted to hear that you succeeded again.

Standing by for your next appeal ....... :D
Etienne
TraffordMum

Re: Second time appeal

Post by TraffordMum »

Congratulations, Justine :)