Who's been for their appeal already?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Woolford

Re: Who's been for their appeal already?

Post by Woolford »

The Firs, .... Thank you so much :)

My ds school in year 5 also does the tick chart report - really useless (in my opinion) as it doesn't really tell you much - especially in such an important year!! - but on your advice I will take it all with me!

I sound very similar to you ... going on my own today and very nervous, ds had scores of 120 & 118, but a ht recommendation of 3:2, so I am know that I am in for a battle, but not sure, like you, how I will react to the what, must seem like, cross examination :?

I am somewhat lucky that I have a good upper school as back up, so am trying to think 'what will be, will be' .. I think that is my way of coping!

Anyway, really hope you have a better today, and I will post later to let you know how it all went :roll:
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

The tick chart is part of the yr 5 school report , where the teacher has ticked all the things they can / can't do , there was a few lack of efforts so I didn't want to submit it . Your school may not have them. Last yr was the 1st ours did . I haven't read your case but I suppose it depends on your circumstances as to whether u put it in & if it is a "glowing" report ! What the panel forgot in mycase is that it is my choice whether I submit it in my opinion & I put all the write up by the teacher & sats results . Hope it helps good luck.
Also wanted to say to u all Im not trying to scare u all about it just trying to give u MY true feeling of the experience !!!
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thanks for the explanation..pretty sure we don't have that. Current report is ok..nothing negative, nothing that screams out GS material either..but it is simple and to the point, so thought that was the main thing. Previous reports are similar, apart from the other subject 'target indicators'..some exceed, but mainly 'met targets', so wasn't sure whether that was 'too' average... So all in all, no negatives, but unsure about the extent of the positives..so when in doubt, thought I'd leave it out..:?: Good luck!
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

Good luck woolford for today , thinking of u, report back on this thread later and tell me how u r feeling . My ds got 2:3 so it was the effort bit I had to prove . Feeling sorry 4 myself today !!!
tcd27

Post by tcd27 »

Hi had my appeal for my twins today. Very formal but it has to be .The three panel members and the representive from the LEA were friendly but had to keep to the rules.Don't be surprised at the formality.
We left the appeal with no idea if we will be successful and we were not asked anyquestions that we had antici pated such as what books are he or she are reading .I think these could be filler questions .We were asked in depth questions about my twin with the lesser vr score 114 and the panel really analysised the letters from the HT and year 6 teachers.I'm told this is quite positive as they are really trying to suit the school to the child.Be prepared for questions that you don't really understand.I was asked to explain the difference in predicted results between the twins and could you tell me the twin 2 sats results in year 2.
The twins have exceptional mitigating circumstances so prehaps don't fit into the 'normal' but even with that taken into consideration the panel were very hot on academic achievement.
My friend and i came out of the appeal feeling 'tangoed'.Very stressful but if you anticipate this it will be easier.The panel is not out to get you..
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

tcd27 - glad someone else felt "tangoed" - great explanation ! fingers crossed for you

I agreee if you go in thinking its going to be v stressful it can only be better
MamaJ

Post by MamaJ »

We went for our appeal yesterday, 2.30 slot, although was later than this when we got in. Panel friendly, and you could see that they were trying to find evidence for our appeal and questions were aimed at trying to elicit this. On my statement, I added all the info that the head gave me re NVr scores over two years (139, 132), sats from 5 (4a and 5,5) and expected Y6 results 5's, his reading age had reached the limits for the SPAR test in Y4 (10.6) and they use no other test in the school. However, on the head's form it only mentioned latest NVR result and the Y6 Sats results. At the end they said they did not have much evidence to be their results on, and on reflection I am not sure if they discounted the results on my appeal form as unsubstantiated. I had printed off the email that the head had sent with the results, but didn't show it, only on the way home I realised that they might not taken my appeal letter at face value. Did have 2:1 recomendation from the head. Be prepared to discuss comment in reports etc. He had a VTs score of 120 (116,120)

Would be interested in knowing whether the panel take our appeal letter at face value. Too late now though anyway.

Anyway, should get the results soon as the retired head who was the buck rep, explained that decision made straight away and will be in an envelope today.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would be interested in knowing whether the panel take our appeal letter at face value. Too late now though anyway.
Risky! - but it's up to them whether they accept unsubstantiated evidence.
Anyway, should get the results soon as the retired head who was the buck rep, explained that decision made straight away and will be in an envelope today.
The administrators do their best to get the letter sent as soon as possible - it might be the next day, but there's absolutely no guarantee. The rules say "ideally within five working days".
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Interesting to read observations about the degree of friendliness & formality.

Hearings are meant to be as informal as possible - but note the word 'possible'. We're talking here about a statutory tribunal, and a quasi-judicial process! There are strict rules to be followed, and a clearly defined structure.

I hope panels would aim to be as friendly as circumstances permit. Some might be better than others at establishing a good rapport with parents (just as some parents might be better at establishing a good rapport with the panel!).
Etienne
MamaJ

Post by MamaJ »

Whilst 'friendly' there was definitely a formal feel about it.....it is frustrating about omitting to show the emails to collaborate my appeal statement which had all his scores etc on, nearly showed the clerk them before we went in, but as they were so late, missed the moment. I just didn't think that I would need to show evidence, as you rightly say it is a legal process so I wouldn't think about lying at it, my naivety! I just didn't click when they said we didn't have much evidence- just thought they were talking about other scores eg CAT which our school does not do. Possible feedback to the appeal panels, could be that it would be helpful for the panel to be clear and clarify if they don't include the results on my appeal form or suggest that the head signs it in the appeal pack.

And yes you were right they do have 7 days..I think the head was trying to be in the know :).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now