appeal for School not on our school choice form

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peanuts

appeal for School not on our school choice form

Post by Peanuts »

Hello,

My child passed the 11+ but might not make it into their first choice school.

We did not put an alternative grammar on the form, however we have spoken to the alternative school and they have said they may be in a position to provide a place, as the pass mark attained was sufficient.

What grounds might we have to appeal for a school not initially chosen ?

Thanks

P
Etienne

Re: appeal for School not on our school choice form

Post by Etienne »

If it comes to an appeal, I think the best approach in this situation is to be rather apologetic, blame yourselves for not having given enough thought to the CAF, and then come up with some reasons why you are very keen on the school in question.

Reasons for wanting a particular school
see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

I don't know how things work in your area but it is definitely talking to admissions now and asking about this. We are in Essex but in the middle of the county. We decided to only put the two schools within a 20 minute travel on our form. These are both superselectives and our DS just missed out on them both. The head of our DS' school said that once the waiting lists closed the schools admitted by exam but to keep our son up to necessary standard he would need to be at a Grammar or Indie. We then looked at the Southend Grammars discovered that there was one with a terrible but just about manageable journey (leave home at 7:30 get home at 5) but we had not put it on our form.

We are in Essex LEA and Southend is a unitary authority so we weren't even in their area but the school uses the same exam to selects and we knew our DS had a high enough mark to have comfortably got in. So about a week after allocation day we called the school and Southend Admissions. All either were interested in was his mark. Southend Admissions asked us to put a request in writing and to copy it to Essex Admissions. I kept calling Southend admissions and as soon as our son's paperwork came through together with confirmation from the Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex which administers the 11 plus here of his mark he was put on the waiting list. He went straight to the top and by mid-Essex had been allocated a place at Westcliff High for Boys.

We didn't need to appeal to get this place so find out what happens in your area you may be able to do something similar.

Very very good luck, I hope you get a satisfactory outcome whatever happens.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Some of the grammars in Gloucestershire are undersubscribed - or to be more precise, have unfilled places after allocating to all who passed.

I would certainly talk to admissions & also to the school (though they can't actually admit). As the school has spaces and the child has passed, then they should be able to allocate a place without an appeal.
Capers
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

Hello,

thanks for your replys, we have spoken to the school and they will consider offering a place after April 1st after the 1st round of allocations, pending results and availability.

P
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

We were told the same by Southend admissions when we tried to make a late application. They told us to call again after 1st April when first round of allocations will have been made. I didn't though. I rang daily and chased, not pushing them for a place, just asking whether they had received an application, 11plus results etc etc. One morning a couple of weeks after allocation day the person at admissions said no our DS' exam results hadn't come through, I asked her to double check and said I'd chase the CSSE if they hadn't come, she said she'd call me back. About 10 minutes later I was called back, the admissions officer confirmed the exam results were there, I asked where they would put my DS, she said top of the waiting list and then completely unasked by me said that she was pretty sure a rejection form for WHSB had come in. She then called me back about an hour later to offer me the place. By mid-March we had place and letter of confirmation.

Do not wait until 1st April, a lot of the waiting list movement is in that first month, if they will put your DC on the waiting list according to their result you want this to happen asap. I read on other threads at the time that other late applicants were told 1st April but it can prove to make friends with admissions and keep calling. It might just pay off!! One other thing, keep your head down. Late applications cause some DCs to go down the waiting list which as you can appreciate is achingly sad for their parents who will rail against you.

Anyway very very very good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now