Practice papers at appeal hearing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
IrishMum

Practice papers at appeal hearing

Post by IrishMum »

We have just had our appeal hearing. Of the 6 questions we were asked, 2 were specifically about our DC's practice papers. Our appeal papers included an EP report. One question - asked by one of the panel - was if we thought there could be a link between one of the WISC-IV tests and how our DC's practice papers went. We answered (a) that we only knew DC's raw scores on the practice papers and (b) were not qualified to make such a link, positively or otherwise. The other question - asked by the LEA rep - was when and where DC had taken the practice papers (answer: at school the week before the real thing) and had our DC performed similarly on the practice papers as the real thing? Is this allowable? Everything I have read on this forum suggests that practice papers are not relevant and therefore cannot be taken into account by a panel. :?
rubyrubyruby

Re: Practice papers at appeal hearing

Post by rubyrubyruby »

we were also asked where the practice papers (and the real ones) were taken. My understanding is that they are in general not considered useful as they are not "unseen" papers and could have been sat or seen by pupils before. I guess if the DC performed poorly in them however it might point to something going on-we used the practice tests to demonstrate a big drop-off in performance for the third one versus the first 2 when we had a family bereavement- lord knows if the panel believe it but it does not seem unreasonable an inference to us.

Good luck

RRR
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi IrishMum, and welcome.
IrishMum wrote:Is this allowable? Everything I have read on this forum suggests that practice papers are not relevant and therefore cannot be taken into account by a panel. :?
The panel can ask anything they want to. The question is how much weight they give to the answers.

Questions about practice papers are little more than "filler questions", along with questions about what children like to do outside of school.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If someone were to say "My child scored top marks in the practice papers," I don't think this would count as academic evidence because the question papers are always the same and not kept securely.

This situation a bit different. I don't know what the issue was, but supposing an EP had identified possible dyslexia and raised concerns about completing tests under timed conditions. It would be a very reasonable question to ask whether timing turned out to be a problem with the practice papers.

As Sally-Anne says, it's up to the panel what weight (if any) they give the answer.
Etienne
IrishMum

Post by IrishMum »

In the end, the issue of practice papers was irrelevant - we were successful :lol: I'll post details of our hearing - which wasn't exactly routine, let's say! - over the weekend.

Huge thanks to Etienne & Sally-Anne, and all the posters here, for sharing, guiding and generally providing vast amounts of moral support. Shame it's only 11 a.m. - too early for that celebratory glass of wine :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Congratulations Irishmum!!!

.... and enjoy the celebrations!
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

Ahh, exceptional circumstances warrant exceptional measures .. are you sure it's too early?
Many congratulations! Well done.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

.. indeed it is the right time in some part of the world!
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Never too early if you win :) but perhaps a smaller one ;)

Congrats!!
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Hi Irishmum, what was the link they were asking about on the WISC test done by EP. We also have a EP report and if I'm honest I'm not 100% sure what each test is for!
KT
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now