appeal results

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

john m

appeal results

Post by john m »

we are shortly to enter the appeals process for our daughter. many thanks to all those who have shared their experiences.this is truly daunting to us.we recently took the huge leap of deciding that should our appeal fail then we will if necessary sell our house and liquidate some cash to educate her in the independent sector. we heard a couple of days ago that she has been offered a place which we have accepted.i realise that this goes against the principles of many contributors but we could not bring ourselves to send her to the local sec mod - it is ok academically but a social and pastoral nightmare.
we were one of the families caught in the trap of a change of entry system half way through the year which really screwed up our plans.we shall however grin and bear it if the appeal fails. at least the independent she would be going to is a really good one both academically and pastorally.i know this is drastic but you can't put a price on your childs education and welfare. we feel really cheated by the system and feel for all those in a similar situation to ours.please post any comments back
Darren

Post by Darren »

John M

Personally think you are making the right decision if you can afford it. Good on you...

Your daughter did not make the cut in the 11+ test. You have possible funds to support your child in private then go for it.

I'd do the same.. (If I could afford it) And may have to find it :(

If you saw my local Comp you would sell everything to avoid sending your kids there...

Good luck with the appeal...

Darren.

Post by Guest »

i know this is drastic but you can't put a price on your childs education and welfare.
I think that you are absolutely right. Good luck to you and your daughter. I hope the appeal works out for you but if not at least you have a good alternative.
louisa

Post by louisa »

Hi John

I really think you have to do what is best for your child. I'm in a similar position. We heard last week that my son has been accepted into local independent school. The relief was palpable. He was proud of himself ' I want to pass something', and we were just so relieved to know that he has this opportunity. We will continue with our appeal for the local grammar school and then see what will happen. I had never envisaged going the independent route and, like yourselves, we will have to downsize and I will increase my working hours but it all feels right and that it's for a tremendously good cause. Lots of thinking to do over the next few weeks!
Good luck.
louisa

Post by louisa »

Hi John, it's me again. Can I ask what area you are in? I'm in Lincolnshire and our appeal is probably going to be in April. Just wondering where else in the country appeals are soon to be taking place.
john m

Post by john m »

hi louisa,
we're in lincolnshire too.the independent is stamford high school and our appeal is for a place at bourne grammar
lincs99

Post by lincs99 »

john m wrote:hi louisa,
we're in lincolnshire too.the independent is stamford high school and our appeal is for a place at bourne grammar
Hi John,

Are you appealing against not passing the 11+ or not getting a place?
Lincs 99

Appeals

Post by Lincs 99 »

Hi John,

Are you appealing to Bourne Grammar due to not passing the 11+, or not being offered a place?
john m

Post by john m »

this is an appeal re non-qualification. she was ill for the first paper (vr) and we felt that she did not have sufficient familiarisation time re the non vr. if you remember lincs changed the system half way through the academic year. the whole selection process at the independent was way more civilised than the cattle market approach in the state sector- the pupils are there for the whole day in a calm relaxed atmosphere ,not hustled through as they are for the 11plus in huge crowded groups , many not knowing where they are going .this was a huge turn off for many kids - some found it intimidating, especially those from the tiny primaries around us. that said ,we would still prefer her to go to the grammar- it's a fantastic school and leaves the vast majority of others around it standing.
lincs 99

Bourne grammar appeal

Post by lincs 99 »

john m wrote:this is an appeal re non-qualification. she was ill for the first paper (vr) and we felt that she did not have sufficient familiarisation time re the non vr. if you remember lincs changed the system half way through the academic year. the whole selection process at the independent was way more civilised than the cattle market approach in the state sector- the pupils are there for the whole day in a calm relaxed atmosphere ,not hustled through as they are for the 11plus in huge crowded groups , many not knowing where they are going .this was a huge turn off for many kids - some found it intimidating, especially those from the tiny primaries around us. that said ,we would still prefer her to go to the grammar- it's a fantastic school and leaves the vast majority of others around it standing.
I wish you well in your appeal & hope that if you are successful that you live close enough. Each year the catchment area gets smaller - apparently!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now