Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 74
Sorry, further question is am i entitled to a copy of his paper and how would I obtain it if this is so?

Last edited by catmum on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:40 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7493
You are most likely to win an appeal on the basis of:
1. your alternative academic evidence
2. any extenuating circumstances
3. reasons for wanting a place (if the school is now oversubscribed)

My question is wether to raise the issue of a subjective entrance qualification proceedure
I do think you should raise this, although panels tend to get uneasy when 'the system' is being challenged. If the system is flawed, it could be argued that everyone's result is invalid, and it doesn't follow that your son gets a place.

After any introduction, the appeal will begin with a representative of the authority/school presenting their case. You will then be asked whether you have any questions. This would be an ideal opportunity to raise your concerns. It's best done courteously, in a low key, non-confrontational way - a request for information rather than a challenge! You could also ask for a breakdown of your son's scores (if you still haven't got them). The panel are under a duty to consider the admission arrangements, so I suggest you politely ask them to consider during their deliberations whether these arrangements are objective and lawful.

I think they are entitled to change the format of the test, and it could be argued that this is fair because the test is therefore more 'tutor proof'.

Test papers are an exemption under the Data Protection Act, and you are not entitled to a copy, although the school could at its own discretion allow you to view them.

I see no reason why you shouldn't ask the school for a breakdown of your son's scores to help you prepare for an appeal. If they refuse, put the request in writing, say that it is being made "under the Data Protection Act", and send it by recorded delivery.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018