Offered GS far from house, chance for appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

goodwish

Offered GS far from house, chance for appealing?

Post by goodwish »

New to this site, read the introduction/Q&A and some posts, very useful. My DS is a statemented child with SEN on communication/social skills. He was offered a place in a GS which is great. However, it is quite far from where we live and I am worried about the travelling due to his condition. He is on the waiting list of another GS (KEFW in Birmingham, 7 points missing to the entry score) which is much closer and much easier for him to travel, moreover, there are several children in his current class are going to this school, this should be of great benifit to help him to settle down because it is quite hard for DS to make friends and get used to new situation due to his condition and these children have been very good to him and they have been in the same class since reception. He scored: Non-verbal/Math (121), English/VR (95). I personally think lower score of English/VR is somehow to do with his condition which also affects him to understand/solve Maths/Non VR. I am thinking to appealing on the grounds of his sepcial circumstances but wonder how the chances would be? other points I can think about:
Currently, his dad is away from the UK so will not be able to help for DS travelling to and from school.
In terms of academic, his teacher said he is now working at level 5 for maths, level 4 for English, but he is regarded to have potential and ability to achive higher (I also think so, this can also be shown from his school report, from reception to year 5, he has moved from the very bottom to top level for maths and also made big improvement for English recently).
He favors ICT, sports games.
Any advices/thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by goodwish on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad

Re: Offered GS far from house, chance for appealing?

Post by chad »

Hi and welcome...... as your child does have a statement, would you be able to get a 'professionals' opinion that the nearer school would be better for your son due to the travelling considerations. This would then back up your reasons for appealing.
goodwish

Re: Offered GS far from house, chance for appealing?

Post by goodwish »

Hi Chad, thanks very much for the advice. I will try to ask about this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now