Appeals for Over-subscribed schools

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: Appeals for Over-subscribed schools

Post by Looking for help »

To be fair, though Etienne, if Slough Mum is trying to appeal to St Bernard's having been unsuccessful in an appeal to Herschel, and also having been told she could only appeal to the first of the consortium's schools on her CAF where both are on it, surely she should be able to appeal to St Bernard's....it seems fishy to me. See her thread in Berks forum, I will try to make a link http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 71#p244771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I think a letter to the governing body is in order, with a request for an appeal, and a complaint to the ombudsman should this be refused.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think we might be talking about different things, LFH?
(Sorry if I've misunderstood.)

I assumed that, in this thread, slough mum was asking about significant new information relating to her case that might have affected the outcome of an earlier appeal.

If the issue is about whether or not an appeal can be made to St. Bernard's, I thought that was a separate question about procedure? To comment briefly: I could understand the consortium operating something along the lines of the Bucks system - a single 11+, and a single appeal against non-qualification (but not oversubscription) to be heard by a consortium appeal panel, but I've not seen their published arrangements for appeals, and have no idea what they're really doing in practice. The system ought to be explained in such a way that parents know what is happening. It could well be a matter that needs to be taken further!
Etienne
Looking for help

And that's my worry Etienne....I think Slough mum needs to clarify what she's asking for a little bit. In the Berks forum, she is saying she is not allowed to appeal to St Bernard's because Herschel was the top consortium school on her CAF - if St B's is on her CAF surely she's also entitled to appeal there? In fact even if she applies late to St B's, she is entitled to appeal should they refuse her. I think the worry is that they are hiding behind the consortium status, yet operating alone in terms of appeals, not that I've an axe to grind or anything :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

if St B's is on her CAF surely she's also entitled to appeal there?
Not necessarily! :)

Consider the situation in Bucks. A parent might list several grammar schools on their CAF, but they get only one appeal against non-qualification.

It all hinges on whether the consortium really is operating a Bucks-type system .....

We have discussed this before:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ct#p220545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Looking for help

I don't think they can be operating in the same way as Bucks, as the appeal is both for non qualification and also oversubscription, not as in Bucks where non qualification is considered first, before allocations day, and then oversubscription later if you don't get your preferred grammar.
Its a murky process, the admission's policy simply says:-
'Appeals against a decision by the governing body must be made within 14 days (10 working days) from the date of notification of the decision regarding admission. These appeals will be considered by an Independent Appeals Committe set up in accordance with the 1998 Schools Standards and Framework Act before which parents are entitled to appear'
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

On this issue, LFH, I think that as soon as slough mum (or anyone else) gets something in writing from St. B's, refusing a right of appeal, it should be referred to the ombudsman.
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Sorry for not coming back earlier, touch day at work !! :-(

I did write to St B after they refused over the phone, and now have a letter from St B refusing an appeal as I already have had the appeal with HG.

Shall I take this up with LGO?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, it's worth seeing what the ombudsman thinks of this situation.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks Etienne - I will contact LGO tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on.

Thanks all for your help.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Just to keep you posted I have taken this up with LGO, and have also provided them with a copy of the letter refusing the appeal.

Not sure how long it will take, but I know that LGO have contacted the school for further information.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now