Waiting lists again - how does it work?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cntrymum

Re: Waiting lists again - how does it work?

Post by cntrymum »

I had put only one grammar school and one comprehensive school in my son's CAF. As my son could not qualify for the grammar school, he has been offered the comprehensive school as his second choice. When I spoke to the CSSE, they informed me that my son could have got other grammar schools if I had put these schools in the original CAF at a higher preference position than the comprehensive school. I have now sent a new preference list to my Essex LA through e-mail. I live in Essex. Can anybody please tell me if I need to fill any other form? I still don't know how the system works? When will they consider my son's application (if at all)?
Alex

Post by Alex »

TheEssex booklet says that if you make an application after March 1 for an over subscribed school then they keep your name on a separate waiting list. See page 13 of:

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Schoo ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However making an application would also give you the right of appeal if you do not get a place.

I suspect that the LEA may want your application on a form -I would ring the admissions department and check.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

I am assuming that you are in Essex and that your DS did not get a high enough score to gain a place at either of super-selective boys' grammars (CRGS and KEGS) but did get a high enough score to gain a splace at one of the Southend Grammars where the cut off point is massively lower. If this is the case the Admissions authority will be Southend and not Essex despite the same 11 plus being taken. I may of course be wrong and it is not the Southend Grammars to which you refer. If it is however the folllowing may help.

We found ourselves in this position last year. We had not put WHSB on our CAF because the journey was very long. When our DS messed up his English we knew he wouldn't get into either CRGS or KEGS on the waiting list because he was just too far down we were in a bit of a pradicament. His school believed it was highly probable that once the waiting lists went at Christmas he would stand a very high chance of getting into one or other of the super-selectives on a later test because his underperformance was so extraordinary. Their only concern was whether a comprehensive would be able to keep him up to the standard needed to pass. We therefore decided to try to get him into WHSB but keep going for any spaces that came up in the Grammars in the north of the county (we are roughly half way between the two schools).

So, about a week after allocation day we contacted Southend Admissions who told us we could make a late application. We had to write to both Southend and Essex Admissions informing them of this (we sent these letters recorded delivery). They told us that they would then obtain our DS's results from the CSSE and slot him in the waiting list at the appropriate place after 1 April. A few days after I sent the letter (about 10 March) I started calling Southend to check that they had everything.

Once they had our letter they asked the CSSE for our son's results. I left it a couple of days and then started phoning daily. One morning, a good week before 1 April, I called and his results had been received and put him 1st on the waiting list, as a rejection had come in that morning we were offered a place at WHSB.

So polite persistence paid off but the foot note to the story is that we really annoyed parents on the waiting list already :( but we then went on to win our appeal to CRGS so the place went back :D .

Anyway, very good luck, I know exactly how you feel, hope it works out for you too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now