Academy appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hopingforthebest

Academy appeal

Post by hopingforthebest »

We are appealing to try to get our DD in to our local Academy school. She took a test for the Academy which, we were told, had no 'pass' mark - all the results would go into a banding system (one to five broken down by ability) and it was then the luck of the draw. Sadly her name didn't come out. We are now considering appealing however I am uncertain what grounds will qualify or impress the panel other than we loved the school, loved its ethos and felt she would flourish there. She is dyslexic and we moved her during her primary education to a school with very small class sizes which have suited her down to the ground and she has thrived. The Academy also has small classes and is an all girls school which we also like.
Finding the whole thing rather stressful and we're told appeals aren't even being heard until June!
Any advice gratefully received
Etienne

Re: Academy appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome.

The process is explained in C1and C2:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am uncertain what grounds will qualify or impress the panel
There's nothing specific because it's a 'balancing exercise' - they will simply be weighing up your reasons against the strength of the academy's case for not admitting any further children.
we loved the school, loved its ethos and felt she would flourish there.
Good - always helps to sound enthusiastic!
She is dyslexic and we moved her during her primary education to a school with very small class sizes which have suited her down to the ground and she has thrived. The Academy also has small classes
Explain this to the panel. Don't forget to provide some evidence of the dyslexia.
and is an all girls school which we also like.
Is there a good reason for this?
we're told appeals aren't even being heard until June!
Having to wait does add to the stress - but June is not unusual! See no. 15:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=15025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

hi is this for Birkenhead? Do you live close to school? Has your daughter's friends been accepted? Make sure school knows your interested in case anyone who has place appeals for the grammar or private and place becomes available?
hopingforthebest

Yes, it is Birkenhead. We've written to the school to request being placed on the waiting list and are putting together the appeal now to try to cover every option.
We appealed for my son a couple of years ago and were so hoping we wouldn't have to go through the whole stressful thing again! But needs must, I guess . . .
hopingforthebest

Oh, how rude! And thanks Ettienne for your help. Much appreciated x
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

My daughter goes to the Academy it is a really lovely school :D

When the school became an Academy alot of people werenot aware and they had lots of places available after allocation.

I chose the Academy over the grammar even thou my daughter passed I really loved the idea the year group was 100 and close nit. My youngest daughter attends the jounior department and will go September 2012.

If your daughter has learning difficulties then I would stress the small size is very important, if her friends have a place also stress how damaging it would be for her to go to different school (also what school were you given??) was it your second/third. Which is closer??

Did you daughter take the NVR and the music test???

Do you have another daughter/ relative in the school???

hope all helps

Kelannhugh xx
hopingforthebest

Hi again

No we don't have a sibling at the school - he's 13 and we think he might object! - but she does have friends already there and a good friend who is going in yr 7

Yes, she took the NVR and the musical aptitude test and found the former fairly easy (or so she says!)

We have been allocated Pensby which is closer to us than Birkenhead but just felt very strongly that the Academy would absolutely suit her. She's very sporty plus that smaller year group/class size would be ideal. l felt the school had a very nurturing environment, too, with a strong sense of doing your best/having aspirations whatever your ability.