oversubscription appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Katieperry1607

oversubscription appeal

Post by Katieperry1607 »

Hi there,

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can offer some advice on appealing to Barton Court Grammar and Simon Langton Girls Grammar. We live in Herne Bay and missed out on our first choice, BC by 0.3 miles. We were offered Clarendon which is about double the distance away and involves a journey with buses and trains, rather than just a school bus.

I would really like to speak to some parents who have appealed in the canterbury/Herne Bay area.

if anyone can help I'd be really grateful,
U400JB9

Re: oversubscription appeal

Post by U400JB9 »

Have PM`d you.......on the bright side, no consolation, at least you got a Grammar place....last year they all got Herne Bay High :shock: :shock:

There were a fair few people from the Whitstable / Herne Bay area who were appealing last year.

We appealed to SLGGS on oversubscription and non-qualification, but are well within catchment, which I suspect is your problem. As it was last year.

Have you done a search on here for post for BCGS and SLGGS?
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I have PM'd you.
Katieperry1607

Post by Katieperry1607 »

Thank you to those who have PM'd me. I have done all the right things so far...accepted the place at 4th choice, am on waiting lists and am appealing to BC and SLGGS....just need to work on the appeal now!
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Good luck. The appeal panel for SLGGS last summer were actually very pleasant.

Do you know how far out of the SLGGS catchment you are? Not sure if this is of any use, but SLGGS have decided to add an extra form on each year as from September so they can cope with being over PAN. I don`t know if they increased their PAN this intake as a result...or if it gives them more scope with the appeals.
According to the letter they go between 6 and 9 over PAN each year, with appeal girls.

I can also tell you there were only about 25 appeals so SLGGS last year, as opposed to 60 to BCGS.

Our estate agent claims, with the new fast link form London to Canterbury, they are seeing an increase in people moving to Canterbury specifically for the Grammar schools as West Kent is too competative....not sure if this was just Estate Agent speil or not :shock: Not that this will an have an effect on this years numbers.

Just out of interest, if Clarendon was your 4th choice...what was your 3rd?????? I`m just nosey........ :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now