Appeal on non-qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T12ACY

Re: Appeal on non-qualification

Post by T12ACY »

I think this has come from some general misunderstandings. In our situation for example, when we appealed and failed a year ago the GS told me that if we were accepted at another GS on appeal that we could put our name on their waiting list. We would be the only ones on it at the time and they felt a place might become available before September. DS had failed the 11+.

However, and this is important. When I got DS a place in another GS and then approached them they said he could go on the waiting list for entry in to year 11. They couldn't take him in the same school year as a failed appeal and even if we did want him to attend their school DS would have to sit an entrance test because being in one GS doesn't equal another........

The gate posts seem to keep moving because they didn't really understand our situation well enough, even though they should have asked the relevant questions I suppose!

As it turns out DS doesn't want to go there and his siblings report massive changes are due to take effect which wouldn't suit their brothers learning style. So all in all he is more than happy to be where he is, and doing very well!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

T12ACY wrote:As it turns out DS doesn't want to go there and his siblings report massive changes are due to take effect which wouldn't suit their brothers learning style. So all in all he is more than happy to be where he is, and doing very well!
Ah so pleased it all worked out after such a stressful year
Alex

Post by Alex »

I should hate anything I wrote to be construed as condoning wrongdoing by either schools or parents.

I think too that I should add that I can see no possible reason why a popular, oversubscribed Grammar School would wish to let an unqualified child in "through the back door".

There may be no "teeth" in the formal policing some aspects of school admissions but there are, nevertheless, other quite serious considerations for schools which decide not to play by the book. In the example I gave of a school offering places outside of the co-ordinated scheme and over PAN, were that school to wish in later years to stick to its proper PAN they will have great difficulty in proving their case for prejudice at any appeal.

Similarly, were a Grammar school to allow admission to an unqualified child outside of the appeal system, they would compromise their case for any subsequent non-qualification appeals.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Alex wrote:I should hate anything I wrote to be construed as condoning wrongdoing by either schools or parents.
Oh I didn't think you were, so don't worry on my account. Not sure why the OP brought it up, that's all :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nor I, Alex. Indeed, you were quoted as saying it would be wrong.
T12ACY wrote:I think this has come from some general misunderstandings. In our situation for example, when we appealed and failed a year ago the GS told me that if we were accepted at another GS on appeal that we could put our name on their waiting list.
I'm not sure there is a misunderstanding, Tracy. If I've got it correctly, you're talking about a selective area, where a successful appeal for one grammar school could mean that a pupil is thereby deemed qualified for entry to another grammar school in the same area.

Being 'deemed qualified' is one thing. Being admitted when unqualified would be another!

The OP is in a non-selective LA, although there is a local consortium where one GS might in theory (I don't know if they do in practice) recognise a successful appeal at another of the consortium GSs as conferring qualified status.

However, she has not (to the best of my knowledge) had a successful appeal, and appears to be asking asking about "appealing against non qualification and being refused - but then contacting the GS directly and being offered a place".

I don't believe this to be a serious possibility, but I repeat - it's not something we could encourage or condone.
Etienne
H2OHNO

Post by H2OHNO »

I would assume there is a possibility, that if a school gave a place to a child who had not reached a qualifying standard, then they could leave themselves, and the LA, open to potential legal action from any parent whose child was not offered a place on the grounds they had not reached the required qualification standard.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

H2OHNO wrote:I would assume there is a possibility, that if a school gave a place to a child who had not reached a qualifying standard, then they could leave themselves, and the LA, open to potential legal action from any parent whose child was not offered a place on the grounds they had not reached the required qualification standard.
This happens all the time locally, my understanding is if there is a place available at the grammar school on the first day of term and you want it for your child then they cannot legally say no, whether you passed the 11+ or not. My neighbour is a head of year at another non selective school and his advice is (if you've got nerves of steel) to buy the uniform and arrive on 4th September and let them try and turn you away.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I really don't think you can insist on them giving a place if you are not qualified! There have been occasions mentioned on the forum where people turn up on day one in uniform and no- one realised for a few days that they weren't actually on the list. They did not let them stay at the school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

my understanding is if there is a place available at the grammar school on the first day of term and you want it for your child then they cannot legally say no
On the contrary - para. 2.73 of the Admissions Code clearly states:
Like all other maintained schools, the admission authorities for designated grammar
schools are required to act in accordance with this Code. Grammar schools are permitted
to select children on the basis of high academic ability, and to leave places unfilled if they
have insufficient applicants of the required standard.
Etienne
slough mum

Re: How is the appeal decision reached

Post by slough mum »

If after an unsuccessful appeal, is it possible to contact a school who has vacancies?

Or will they automatically decline as the appeal was unsuccessful.
Thanks