Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Who is on the panel? - & other questions

Post by Etienne »

I'd be worried if you weren't nervous!

One or two suggestions here:
6. How to greet the panel
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=15025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try not to go on for too long. Make your points as concisely as possible - the panel can always ask you questions if they need more information.

It's good to be punctual, polite, non-confrontational, very reasonable ........ and nervous.
Etienne
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Good Luck ! We have our fingers crossed for you....don't worry about being nervous...it would be strange if you weren't. I'm absolutely petrified !! :lol:
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Etienne

the NFER graph you showed is that for 11+ tests? (or SATS or CATS).

Thank you
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

If you're referring to the bell curve posted earlier see the included link (to Nfer) which explains in detail.

Cat scores are here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sats standardised scores are very rarely used and therefore seldom mentioned.
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Sorry Mitasol

I understand it to be 11+ (or is it testing in general) but would it refer directly to say the kent test,sorry if I am being dim :oops:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It is not certain that the example quoted by Nfer is identical to that used in Kent. I think that the answer would be the same as when you asked about comparing CAT test scores. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... es#p236424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Thanks mitasol it's just if it was comparable would be a useful tool in the appeals? :?
pfgvs

Post by pfgvs »

Thanks for all the advice. We had our appeal yesterday, result today. The appeal was turned down. I think we did not prove the academic case. (General conceptual ability on 98th percentile and number skills on 99th percentile, and did better in a mock than some children who got in.) I think it was the predicted SATS scores that did for us, and only average spelling, but haven't got the official letter yet. It is disappointing, but we definately feel the panel members listened to us very carefully, and were very helpful, so we have "closure". Time to move on.....However I am not sure I will enter my daughters for the 11+!!!!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'm sorry to hear that pfgvs.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm sorry too. You had some good points to make (GCA 98th percentile, number skills 99th percentile), and I don't believe you could have done more in terms of putting together the best case you could.

Predicted SATs scores, only average spelling, and the 5% shortfall won't have helped. Moreover, if it was a foundation school panel, they can sometimes be much more difficult to convince.

Glad that they treated you well and listened, though.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now