Inaccurate Information from Education Authority for Apeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vindi

Worth Appealling? Kesteven and Grantham Girls School

Post by vindi »

Our daughter was turned down as school oversubsribed. We live approx 17 miles from the school. However, she did exceptionally well in 11+ getting 265 out of 280. She is a July birthday and had no formal tutoring, just a bit of help from Mum and Dad. Is this worth appealling?
hermanmunster

Re: Worth Appealling? Kesteven and Grantham Girls School

Post by hermanmunster »

I understand that KGGS's oversubscription policy is based on distance rather than score, so you have proved already that she can get a good score - the only reason she hasn't got a place is because you live too far away. In this case you have to go for an oversubscription, the key point of which is demonstrating why KGGS is the RIGHT school for your daughter.

Have you had a look at the Q&A at the top of the appeals page?
vindi

Post by vindi »

Thanks - we always knew distance may be a problem but this is our nearest grammar school, which we feel she needs given her abilities. We don't want her to go to a comprehensive where we suspect the teasing she gets at primary will continue for being a "geek" or a "boffin".
Alex

Post by Alex »

Definitely worth a go. Last year 33 appeals heard and 9 upheld (and this will have included non-qualifications ones too, but I am afraid I do not know the proportion).
vindi

Inaccurate Information from Education Authority for Apeal

Post by vindi »

We received our appeal pack yesterday for admission out of county for our appeal w/c 16 May. However, the pack indicates that my daughter could also attend a school which is closer to home (in our home county). However, this school has been closed to new admissions since 2009. They are still open to allow some children to finish their GSCEs, but this will be the second year they have not accepted new admissions in year 7.

Should I be raising this now with the education authority now or should I wait until the day of the appeal.

Any advice would be welcomed
hermanmunster

Re: Inaccurate Information from Education Authority for Apea

Post by hermanmunster »

have you been allocated a school?

Which county is this?
vindi

Post by vindi »

We live on the Lincolnshire/Leicestershire border. We have been allocated a school in Leicestershire, but we are appealing for Kesteven and Grantham Girls School, which comes under Lincolnshire
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Assuming you live in Leicestershire (presumably Vale of belvoir area), then Leics will have allocated a school. Was it one of your choices? presumably the school you have been allocated is still taking children at year 7?

What grounds are you appealing to KGGS ? Seems odd that they mention yet another school in the pack... :?
vindi

Post by vindi »

The school we have been allocated is approx 2.5 miles from our current house. They however, mention the school that is closed to new admission is only 1.2/1.3 miles from our home.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

what grounds are you appealing to KGGS on?