Prejudice & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
otllen

Re: Prejudice & other questions

Post by otllen »

I've requested the notes, so I'll let you know - I'm guessingh not! However, that was the only comment regarding prejudice, so at worst there will be nothing in there from the school side from the hearing itself, so I guess it depends on the notes of the deliberations.

On a related issue, we have comments on the deliberations that were never raised in our hearing or in any of the evidence we submitted. Its almost like they have some bits confused with another case. Which could be a possibility as they did all the decision making after all appeals.

Thanks again for all you help. Its good to get a different viewpoint. It feels very unfair at the moment.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Glad to be of some assistance.

The more I read of some own-admission authority appeals (this looks like a foundation/VA school or academy), the more alarmed I become! :roll:
Etienne
otllen

Post by otllen »

otllen wrote:I've requested the notes, so I'll let you know - I'm guessingh not! However, that was the only comment regarding prejudice, so at worst there will be nothing in there from the school side from the hearing itself, so I guess it depends on the notes of the deliberations.

On a related issue, we have comments on the deliberations that were never raised in our hearing or in any of the evidence we submitted. Its almost like they have some bits confused with another case. Which could be a possibility as they did all the decision making after all appeals.

Thanks again for all you help. Its good to get a different viewpoint. It feels very unfair at the moment.
Forgot to mention also that I didnt get chance to verbally state my case - they went straight into questionning me on the evidence I'd submitted. I'd prepared a piece to read out which spoke more about our childs specific issues but didnt get to read it. I gave the clerk a copy and he handed it to the panel as we went in and the chair said "oh, not more paperwork", so i think that they wanted to keep the discussions to a minimum which I guess is why they didnt give me an opportunity to read my piece out.

I'd be interested to see if they refer to having read it in the notes when decision making.

Sorry to rant!
otllen

Post by otllen »

Etienne wrote:Glad to be of some assistance.

The more I read of some own-admission authority appeals (this looks like a foundation/VA school or academy), the more alarmed I become! :roll:

Yes, its a foundation grammar. Well spotted :wink:
Alex

Post by Alex »

otllen wrote: I made the assumption that all we had to do was statisfy them that our child was of grammar school ability.

Thats why I made my original post and thats why I'm so confused that we've been turned down on prejudice. :(
Can you clarify whether you were appealing against non-qualification as well as oversubscription? If so does your decision letter make it clear what view the panel took on the qualification issue?
otllen

Post by otllen »

I've recieved the clerks notes today - for what they. Notes for a 40 minute appeal hearing are no more than 200 words long. There are no notes of the panels deliberations. Surely this cant be acceptable???
otllen

Post by otllen »

Alex wrote:
otllen wrote: I made the assumption that all we had to do was statisfy them that our child was of grammar school ability.

Thats why I made my original post and thats why I'm so confused that we've been turned down on prejudice. :(
Can you clarify whether you were appealing against non-qualification as well as oversubscription? If so does your decision letter make it clear what view the panel took on the qualification issue?
Non-qualification. Letter does not make it clear, but does say that the test is the only way they can assess suitability, so it is impossible to say whether our child would have passed or not.

We supplied heads recommendations as per Appeals code which supports our case, states exactly why she feels grammar would be good etc and states predicted L5 stats. Also supplied other evidence of IQ. All were ignored - well not refered to in the decision letter and as there are no deliberation meeting notes.....
:-(
otllen

Re: Prejudice to the school of accepting over the PAN

Post by otllen »

Etienne wrote:
If you want to send the school's written case to the Appeals Box, I'll have a look at it and tell you what I think. I would also need to know whether the headteacher said anything additional at the hearing, and what questions were asked (and answers given) about the school's case.

You're welcome to discuss the decision letter here (and to send a copy to the Appeals Box if you wish). I've altered the thread title to "Prejudice & other questions".
Morning Etienne, I've emailed you through the notes and decision letter. If you would keep anything personally identifiable confidential please.

Could you tell me what your general opinion of the notes are. Are they sufficient? I dont think they are as they dont reflect what was said or happened as they are far too brief.

Also what about the decision letter. I was left very confused by it as I wasnt sure what they were actually saying. All seems a bit cryptic. Also there isnt any reference to assessing any of the acedemic evidence we supplied. Can they ignore it if they want to?

Thank you so much for all your help, like may posts I've read, I just wish that I'd seen this sight before our hearing.
Thanks again x
Alex

Post by Alex »

There are no notes of the panels deliberations. Surely this cant be acceptable???
I would expect there should be notes of the main points of the deliberations and of the decision making including which way each panel member decided ie whether it was a unanimous or a majority decision.
Letter does not make it clear, but does say that the test is the only way they can assess suitability, so it is impossible to say whether our child would have passed or not.
This is concerning. The test may be the only way that the Admissions Authority has of assessing suitability but the appeals panel should be considering any alternative evidence of ability that the appellant wishes to put forward and/or reasons why the child may not have performed to the best of their ability in the tests. If the panel have confined their deliberations to looking at the test alone then they would appear have misled themselves and not to have followed the Code. It would be perfectly in order for a panel to consider the alternative evidence and mitigating circumstances and conclude that it was not sufficient for them to overturn the test result but NOT for them to ignore that evidence on the basis that the test was the only way of assessing suitability.
We supplied heads recommendations as per Appeals code which supports our case, states exactly why she feels grammar would be good etc and states predicted L5 stats. Also supplied other evidence of IQ. All were ignored - well not refered to in the decision letter and as there are no deliberation meeting notes.....
the fact that no mention is made of this evidence and what view the panel took of it would suggest that you have grounds for complaint as indeed do the procedural irregularities you referred to earlier in that you were not given the opportunity to state your case properly.

I think the LGO would be a sensible next step given what you have said.

I am sure Etienne will be along later to give you fuller advice.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Hi Alex,
Alex wrote:
There are no notes of the panels deliberations. Surely this cant be acceptable???
You mention the above, does that mean that each member of the panel is suppose to give their view or vote?
As on my decision letter it is an overal decision.