advice for appeal needed please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
so very sad

advice for appeal needed please

Post by so very sad »

hi there please can you give me some advice. i am in the kent area we wanted out dear daughter to go to clarendon house in ramsgate.her marks were nvr129 vr 119 math 106
do you think it is worth appealing, she never got to finish the math paper and guessed around 5 questions, would extra time have made a difference if she had got to answer the questions. do i put this on an appeal.
unfortunately we never even got the comp that we wanted either, so at the moment we are in a serious state. the school they had given us is extremly low in the grades and i know she would suffer work wise if she had to go there
any help or advise would be greatly received
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear so very sad

I don't think you can make an issue of extra time, unless your daughter has a disability. The 11+ is all about working under pressure, within the time constraints.

If I remember correctly, the pass marks for Kent are 120/120/115. As I've written elsewhere, my advice would be firstly to talk to the current head to see what he/she thinks, and how strongly the school would support an appeal. As a rule of thumb, the further away from the pass mark, the stronger the case needs to be.

Regards
Etienne
Waddle

So very sad - ran out of time

Post by Waddle »

I don't know if this would be any help, but our son ran out of time on a VR paper and guessed last five questions. At the actual appeal I told the panel about this and said what he did to address the situation (this in an area where they sit two papers), ie practised between tests and then worked faster the next time and achieved higher score. I then related these higher scores to scores he had achieved in previous years which were in the same ball park.

We got the appeal, although other stuff might have helped as well, of course.