concerns of maladministration

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
houseful

Re: concerns of maladministration

Post by houseful »

Interestingly I was talking to my childs new tutor today about my appeal. She informed me that she was an appeal panel member and felt that appeals were really a false hope for parents in Birmingham because it was extremely rare that any succeeded.

She said a parent would literally have to have died the night before the exam for them to accept an appeal.

My hearing was the first to be heard on the final 3rd day of hearings . I was appeal no 30 and was told there were 40 + appeals in total. By 3.00pm that same afternoon (I know this because I spoke to the clerk around this time) the decisions on all 40+ cases had already been agreed. Non were successful.

Makes me think how the decisions were made so quickly, was it just a quick question of yes or no from the panel members without any in depth discussion on each individual case??? How else could they conclude all 40+ cases in such a short space of time?
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Let's hope she is a very effective tutor, otherwise she will constantly be encountering the parents of her "failures" in the appeal room. How embarassing would that be! :shock:
fm

Post by fm »

She informed me that she was an appeal panel member and felt that appeals were really a false hope for parents in Birmingham because it was extremely rare that any succeeded.
Ignoring the possible conflict of interest, I don't understand why anyone would bother giving up her time to sit on a appeal panel if she believes the above.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If an appeal panel member knows an appellant, he/she is required to declare it. The panel member cannot go ahead with the hearing if there is a conflict of interest.

Appellants are also sent the names of their panel in advance, so that they have an opportunity to raise any concerns.
Etienne
houseful

Re: Unsuccessful appeal , one more to go

Post by houseful »

Had my second appeal hearing today after an unsuccessful one a couple of weeks ago.

Just like to say, the panel (KE Foundation) were fantastic. Made me feel so comfortable and seemed to genuinely care about impact on my DD and about the case. Head Teacher was also very sympathetic.

Chalk and cheese in comparision to my hearing with Birmingham CIty Council panel.

Will be writing to them just to say thanks for listening and being so supportive.

Also great BIG thanks to everyone on this forum, parents, moderators and everyone else in between. You support has been invaluable. :)

Will be adding feedback once I get the result.
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Hope it goes well for you and your DD . Would be nice to hear a good news story out of Birmingham. :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now